EU Exit Legislation

Much of the legislation required to give effect to the UK’s decision to leave the European Union will be passed by the UK Parliament. Where this legislation affects devolved competence, the Northern Ireland Assembly may agree to the changes by way of a legislative consent motion.

This section of the hub provides links to this legislation (also known as primary legislation) and associated consent motions. Click on the buttons below to read more about the types of legislation and how they are being used to implement the UK’s exit from the EU.


UK Parliament

N. I. Assembly



Legislative Consent Motions 

EU Exit subordinate legislation

The EU (Withdrawal) Act 2018 (EUWA), as amended as by the European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Act 2020, gives Ministers in the UK Government and in the devolved administrations of Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, powers to make subordinate legislation amending laws that otherwise would not work appropriately as a result of the UK leaving the European Union, or to implement the Withdrawal Agreement.


EU Exit subordinate legislation may be made in two different ways:


Subordinate legislation made by UK Government Ministers at Westminster is known as a Statutory Instrument (SI).  Subordinate legislation made by Northern Ireland Ministers at the Assembly is referred to as a Statutory Rule (SR).  The scope of these Statutory Instruments and Statutory Rules is fixed by the Act of Parliament under which they are made. 

What happens to EU Exit subordinate legislation, and how it is scrutinised, depends on where it is made.


UK Parliament

N. I. Assembly


Statutory Instruments




Find MLAs

Find your MLAs

Locate MLAs


News and Media Centre

Visit the News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Follow the Assembly on our social media channels

Keep up-to-date with the Assembly

Find out more

Useful Contacts

Contact us

Contacts for different parts of the Assembly

Contact Us