Committees of the Northern Ireland Assembly
Here you will find Committees established by the Assembly together with links to further pages containing information on their work and publications.
Committee End of Session Reports: 2014/2015
See how Committees have spent their time this year and what they have achieved.
The End of Session reports are here and summarise Committees’ key activities and achievements and, importantly, what impact they have had on Government policy and legislation.
Giving Evidence to Committees
Find out how and why it’s important for Assembly Committees to take evidence from stakeholders.
Committee Review Group
On 5 November 2013, the Committee Review Group published its report on the Review of the Committee System of the Northern Ireland Assembly. The report which was debated in Plenary, makes a number of recommendations on enhancing and improving the effectiveness of committees.
View the report here.
View the Plenary debate here.
Contact the Committee Review Group
Committee Clerk: Lucia Wilson
Tel (028) 90 521208
Under Standing Order 64 a matter of concern to two or more committees can be dealt with by:
- the relevant committees sitting concurrently
- establishing an adhoc joint committee for the purpose
Concurrent Committees this mandate:
- Concurrent Committee of the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development and the Committee for Health, Social Services and Public Safety
- Concurrent Committee of the Committee for Justice and the Committee for Health, Social Services and Public Safety
Legislative Consent Motions
- Legislative Consent Memorandum: the Energy Bill
- Report on the Protection of Freedoms Bill 2011
- Finance (No. 3) Bill
- Devolution of Air Passenger Duty
- Cultural Gifts Scheme Provisions of the Westminster Finance Bill
- Transfer of Responsibility for Northern Ireland Credit Union Registration to the Appropriate GB Authority
- Local Government Finance Bill
- Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill
Section 29(1)(a) of the Northern Ireland Act (1998) requires that Standing Orders 'make provision for establishing committees of Members of the Assembly (statutory committees) to advise and assist each Northern Ireland minister in the formulation of policy with respect to matters within his/her responsibilities as a minister'.
The Northern Ireland Act 1998 and Assembly Standing Orders numbers 51, 52 and 54 to 59 provide for the establishment of standing committees.
Standing committees are permanent committees of the Assembly and have specific roles assigned to them within Standing Orders.
Ad Hoc Committees
Under Standing Order 53, ad hoc committees will be established from time to time to deal with any specific time-bounded terms of reference that the Assembly may set.
The Assembly shall decide the membership of any such committee and may direct its method of operation. Such committees have the power to call for persons and papers.
Ad Hoc Committees in the 2011/2016 mandate: