Committees of the Northern Ireland Assembly
What is a committee?
Committees are groups of MLAs (Members of the Legislative Assembly) who look at specific subjects such as health, education, justice and more. Committee members come from different political parties.
- hold the Northern Ireland Executive (the government) to account
- hold inquiries
- ask for your views
- examine bills (proposed laws) and decide on amendments (changes)
- introduce their own bills
Committees have a remit which says what areas they are responsible for. Committees can look at anything in their remit.
Northern Ireland Assembly Committees 2017-2022
Northern Ireland Assembly Committees 2016-2017
Information about the work of the Northern Ireland Assembly Committees during the 2016-2017 Mandate.
Northern Ireland Assembly Committees 2011-2016
Information about the work of the Northern Ireland Assembly Committees during the 2011-2016 Mandate.
Section 29(1)(a) of the Northern Ireland Act (1998) requires that Standing Orders 'make provision for establishing committees of Members of the Assembly (statutory committees) to advise and assist each Northern Ireland minister in the formulation of policy with respect to matters within his/her responsibilities as a minister'.
The Northern Ireland Act 1998 and Assembly Standing Orders numbers 51, 52 and 54 to 59 provide for the establishment of standing committees.
Standing committees are permanent committees of the Assembly and have specific roles assigned to them within Standing Orders.
Follow the Assembly Committees on Twitter
Follow our Committees on Twitter for all the latest on the issues affecting Northern Ireland and the work the Committees are overseeing...
- Committee for Education (@NIACfEd)
- Committee for the Executive Office (@NIAEOCttee)
- Public Accounts Committee (@NIA_PAC)
- Committee for Justice (@NIAJusticeComm)
- Committee for Health (@niahealth)
- Communities for Communities (@NIA_Communities)
- Committee for Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (@NIAAgriEnvRA)
- Committee for Finance (@NIAFinance)
- Committee for Infrastructure (@NIAInfra)
- Committee for the Economy (@NIAEconomy)
Privacy Notice for Assembly Committees
Assembly Committees may handle your personal information if you provide evidence to a Committee during a meeting, provide a written submission to an inquiry or call for evidence, or participate in a Committee event.
The Northern Ireland Assembly Commission is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy and any personal information you provide is protected and used in line with data protection legislation.