Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2006/2007

Date: 14 June 2007

COMMITTEE FOR THE ENVIRONMENT

MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS

THURSDAY 14 JUNE 2007,
Room 144, PARLIAMENT BUILDINGS

Present: 
Mr Cathal Boylan (Deputy Chairperson)
Mr Billy Armstrong
Mr Trevor Clarke
Mr David Ford
Mr Samuel Gardiner
Mr Alex Maskey
Mr Ian McCrea
Mr Daithí McKay

In Attendance: 
Mrs Patricia Casey (Assembly Clerk) 
Mr William Long (Assistant Assembly Clerk)
Mr Sean McCann (Clerical Supervisor)
Miss Pauline Devlin (Clerical Officer)

Apologies: 
Mr Tommy Gallagher
Mr Patsy McGlone
Mr Peter Weir

The meeting opened at 10.36am in public session.

  1. Apologies

Apologies are detailed above.

  1. Minutes

Agreed – the draft minutes were agreed.

  1. Matters arising

Member’s attention was brought to the forthcoming Press Lunch and Christian Aid Banner Launch.

10.40am. Mr McCrea joined the meeting

  1. Departmental Strategic Objectives

Agreed – The Clerk to draft a response, based on the views of the Members as expressed at the meeting, to the Minister for consideration at next week’s meeting.

10.50am. Mr Clarke joined the meeting.
11.10am. Mr Maskey left the meeting.

  1. North South Interconnector

Kevin Armstrong and Peter Mullaney, Planning Officials, briefed the Members on the North South Interconnector.

Mr Armstrong and Mr Mullaney answered questions from the Members.

The Department Officials agreed to keep the Committee informed when an application for the Interconnector is received.

  1. DOE Draft Disability Action Plan

Alex Boyle, Central Management Branch, briefed Members on the DOE Draft Disability Action Plan.

Mr Boyle and Mr Mullaney answered questions from the Members.

11.35. Mr Clarke left the meeting.

  1. Proposal for Secondary Legislation – SL1 – Motor Vehicle (Construction and Use) Regulations

Agreed – The Committee for the Environment considered Motor Vehicle (Construction and Use) Regulations ( Northern Ireland) 1999 and has no objection to the proposal.

  1. Committee Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the completed Forward Work Programme.

  1. Taxis Bill – Public Notice

Members noted the tabled Departmental press release announcing Introduction (First Stage) of the Taxis Bill.

Agreed – The Committee agreed the contents of the draft press notice and requested for it to be issued.

Agreed – Members to be provided with a briefing on the protest by taxi owners for discussion at next week’s meeting.

  1. Correspondence

The Committee noted the following items of correspondence:

a. E-mail from DALO re Centralisation of Vehicle Licensing Services – Announcement of Arrangements for Local Offices with attached copy of Press Release on New Counter Services for Vehicle Licencing.

b. Letter from Climate Change Coalition NI re request to meet with the Committee.

Agreed – To invite representative from Climate Change Coalition NI to brief the Committee at the meeting on 28 June 2007 following the Department’s briefing on Sewell Motions.

c. E-mail from David Ferguson re responses to:

  1. Campbell Malseed letter
  2. Average processing times for CLUDS
  3. Enforcement issues
  4. Concerns about statements on PPS 14 by DRD and Planning Service
  5. Concerns about town cramming

Agreed – Committee to write to David Ferguson in response to his letter, to raise with DRD concerns over progress of PPS 12.

d. Email from Ulster Wildlife Trust enclosing their response to the Marine Bill.

e. Letter from Quarry Products Association, Northern Ireland, with attached briefing papers for Members setting out the main issues for interaction with EHS, Planning Service and other DOE Agencies.

f. NSCA (National Society for Clean Air) Briefing (monthly publication)

g. The National Land Remediation Conference
(20th June 2007 – Royal College of Surgeons, 35 – 43 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London WC2)

h. Invitation to the Launch of Foundations for the Future, The Review of Environmental Governance Final Report. (19 June 2007 - Ormeau Baths Gallery).

  1. Any other business

Members were reminded that the draft Hansard transcripts for the two pre-legislative scrutiny briefings by Departmental officials has been sent to Members e-mails.

  1. Date, time and place of next meeting

The next meeting will be held on Thursday, 21 June 2007 at 10.30am in Room 144 Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 11.57am.

Cathal Boylan
Deputy Chairperson, Committee for the Environment.
14 June 2007

Find MLAs

Find your MLAs

Locate MLAs

Search

News and Media Centre

Visit the News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Follow the Assembly on our social media channels

Keep up-to-date with the Assembly

Find out more

Useful Contacts

Contact us

Contacts for different parts of the Assembly

Contact Us