Committee Organises Programme of Events to Support COP26
Session: Session currently unavailable
Date: 29 October 2021
Reference: AERA 07/20/21
The Assembly’s Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (AERA) Committee will be organising a programme of events and initiatives aimed at promoting and supporting the COP26 Conference that is taking place in Glasgow from 31 October – 12 November 2021.
Speaking today, the Committee Chairperson, Declan McAleer MLA said: “As well as raising awareness of COP26, our planned events have been organised to highlight our ongoing work on two important Climate Change Bills and the need for local legislative action to tackle climate change.”
Mr McAleer continued: “On Thursday 4 November, we will be holding a special virtual forum with young people from local schools who will present their thoughts on Climate Change and engage in a discussion with Members. We have also partnered with Sustrans, who will tell us about their Active Travel Programme and provide an opportunity for Members to trial their e-bikes on Wednesday 10th November, as a new way of e-friendly travel.”
“The Committee is also delighted that the Assembly Commission has agreed, at our request, to light Parliament Buildings green on Monday 1 November to mark the beginning of COP26.”
Mr McAleer concluded: “COP26 is taking place at a time when legislatures and citizens around the world are becoming more and more aware of the dangers of climate change and the need to take action. We hope that our events will help to highlight this issue locally, encourage dialogue and discussion, and promote the need for a collaborative approach towards tackling Climate Change now and in the future.”
Notes to Editor:
- Parliament Buildings will be lit green on Monday 1 November to mark the beginning of COP 26.
- The Committee will hold a virtual forum with the Assembly’s Education Service and pupils from local schools on Thursday 4 November.
- The Committee will receive a briefing from Sustrans and participate in an e-bike trial on Wednesday 10 November. Further information about Sustrans can be found here
- The Committee is currently taking evidence on the Climate Change Bill and the Climate Change (No.2) Bill.
- COP26 UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) will take place in Glasgow from 31 October - 12 November. Further information is available here:
Mr Declan McAleer MLA (Chairperson)
Mr Philip McGuigan MLA (Deputy Chairperson)
Ms Clare Bailey MLA
Mrs Rosemary Barton MLA
Mr John Blair MLA
Mr Harry Harvey MLA
Mr William Irwin MLA
Mr Patsy McGlone MLA
For media enquiries, please contact:
Deputy Communications Officer
Northern Ireland Assembly
Tel: 029 90 52 5938 Mob: 07899 864368