Review of the Public Petitions Procedures - Terms of Reference
The Northern Ireland Assembly Committee on Procedures is undertaking a Review of the Public Petitions Procedures in the Northern Ireland Assembly.
The aim of the review is to examine the effectiveness of current procedures and to consider if a revised system of public petitions should be introduced to the Assembly.
The terms of reference for the review are as follows:
1. Consider the current Assembly procedures and processes relating to public petitions;
2. Examine examples of petitions previously presented to the Assembly and determine any measurable outcomes;
3. Consult with stakeholders and obtain views on a public petitions process including e-petitions;
4. Carry out research to examine learning and examples of best practice from other legislatures;
5. Consider options for enhancement of public petitions procedures; and
6. Make recommendations for Standing Orders to reflect the Committee’s findings.