Minutes of Proceedings
Date: 07 July 2008
COMMITTEE FOR THE ENVIRONMENT
MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS
TUESDAY 8 JULY 2008,
ROOM 144, PARLIAMENT BUILDINGS
Mr Patsy McGlone (Chairperson)
Mr Billy Armstrong
Mr David Ford
Mr Samuel Gardiner
Mr Ian McCrea
Mr Alastair Ross
Mr Peter Weir
Ms Patricia Casey (Assembly Clerk)
Mr William Long (Assistant Clerk)
Mr Sean McCann (Clerical Supervisor)
Mr Cathal Boylan
Mr Trevor Clarke
Mr Tommy Gallagher
Mr Daithi McKay
The meeting commenced in closed session at 10.40a.m.
Apologies are detailed above.
2. Proposals for Secondary Legislation
SL1 – Proposed legislation to introduce the Certificate of Professional Competence for drivers of large passenger carrying vehicles and large goods vehicles
Agreed: That the Committee considered proposed legislation to introduce the Certificate of Professional Competence for drivers of large passenger carrying vehicles and large goods vehicles and had no objections to the proposal.
SL1 – Proposed Commencement Order No 5 – Approved Driving Instructors (ADIs) Appeals Procedures
Agreed: That the Committee considered the Proposed Commencement Order No 5 – Approved Driving Instructors (ADIs) Appeals Procedures and had no objections to the proposal.
SL1 – Draft Local Government (Constituting a Joint Committee a Body Corporate) Order (NI) 2008
Agreed: That the Committee considered the Draft Local Government (Constituting a Joint Committee a Body Corporate) Order (NI) 2008 and had no objections to the proposal.
- Members noted a letter from Julie-Anne Denvir, Safer Electricity for Armagh and Trone, thanking the committee for the opportunity to speak to them at the Armagh meeting.
- E-mail from Mr Jeremy Taylor asking Committee members to participate in a personal project surveying world leaders, governments and others, regarding nature and the environment.
Agreed: That members respond on an individual basis.
- Letter from Department re draft UK wide Regulations, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (Reach). Copies of the consultation documents are also included for Member information.
Agreed: That a synopsis of responses is requested from the Department.
- Members noted a departmental response re request for further information on the Belfast Metropolitan Area Plan.
- Members noted an e-mail from an Assembly Researcher listing some internet links to news on Biomass plants which have been granted planning permission in Great Britain.
- Letter from Fiona McKinley, Belfast City Airport Watch, and background information re airport flight increase.
Agreed: That copy of the letter is forwarded to the Department for comment.
- Members noted an e-mail from Noel Brady and copy of the presentation made by SITA to the DoE regarding its proposals for waste Management.
- E-mail from Mr. Samuel Egerton, Belfast Public Taxi Owner & Driver, re fuel surcharges.
Agreed: That copy of the e-mail is forwarded to the Department for comment.
- Departmental response to the Committees request for more information on how the DVA plans to improve the exchange of MOT information with its counterparts in Great Britain.
Agreed: That a letter is sent to the Department requesting full details of any new compliance strategy developed by the DVA.
- Departmental response re the effects of European and Government air quality policy on Fuel poverty in Strabane District Council.
Agreed: That a copy of the response is forwarded to the Chief Executive of Strabane District Council.
- Departmental response re the committees request for an update from the Department on planning application T/2001/051/ which proposes the landfilling of non hazardous solid waste at Craigmore Quarry.
Agreed: That a copy of the response is forwarded to Craigmore and Randalstown Environmental Group for information.
- Members noted a departmental response re the Committees request for more information on the ‘Local Government (Contracts and Compulsory Purchase) Bill’
- Members noted a letter from the Minister regarding a report on the Measurement of Northern Ireland greenhouse gas and carbon dioxide emissions.
- Members noted a letter regarding the Draft Local Government (Constituting a Joint Committee a Body Corporate) Order (Northern Ireland).
- Letter from Clerk, OFMDFM Committee re Sustainable Development Strategy.
Agreed: That the Committee monitor the Department’s progress in contributing to sustainable development objectives and targets and that this is included in the Committee’s Forward Work Programme post recess.
- Members noted a letter from the Minister regarding an Article 31 Application Number L/2006/1397/F.
- Letter from Department re Department’s draft disability action plan.
Agreed: That a letter is sent to the Department asking for further clarification on this letter.
- E-mail from Eamon Cadden regarding the Department’s response on the subject of Stretched Limousines and Novelty cars.
Agreed: That a letter is sent to Mr Cadden acknowledging his comments.
- Members noted a letter from the Department providing an update on the position on the introduction of a levy/tax on plastic bags.
- Members noted a letter from the Department regarding their Action Plan drawn up in response to recommendations made in the Criminal Justice Inspection’s report on Enforcement in DOE, published in October 2007.
- Members noted a letter from the Department regarding the Planning Service’s Annual Report and Accounts 2007/08.
- Members noted a letter from the Department regarding the proposed Waste Management Bill
- Members noted a letter from the Department re Regulations implementing the Single (Internal) Market provisions of the Batteries and Accumulators and Waste Batteries and Accumulators Directive (2006/66/EC) (the Batteries Directive)
Newsletters & Press Releases:
- Equality Commission Newsletter Number 8.
- Wilson announces lowest ever child road casualty Figures.
- Disqualified drivers targeted in international agreement.
- Environment Minister Addresses Nursery Transport Worries.
- Environment Minister Hails New Guide For Taxi Users.
- Appointment of Local Government Boundaries Commissioner
9. Any other business
Agreed: That a Press Release is issued in relation to the Committee’s recent response to the Minister on Road Safety.
Mr McCrea joined the meeting at 10.47 a.m.
10. Date, time and place of next meeting
The next meeting will be held on Thursday, 11 September 2008 at 10.30am in Room 144, Parliament Buildings.
The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 10.49a.m.