Eleven members of staff in the Northern Ireland Assembly are trained as Autism Champions. Please contact the champion by e-mail if you are visiting Parliament Buildings and need any assistance before, during or after your visit.
Some things an Autism Champion will be able to help you with:
- To be a point of contact for anyone with autism coming to Parliament Buildings and to meet visitors on their arrival.
- To assist with your access arrangements and those of a personal assistant if you have one.
- To answer questions for someone with autism.
- To provide assistance to someone with autism who has come to the building, especially if the person is feeling stressed and perhaps needs a quiet area to calm down.
- To provide information for someone with autism in a suitable format. For example if someone with autism is attending a meeting in Parliament Buildings they may require paperwork to be produced in a larger font or on different coloured paper. They may require further information such as why the meeting is being held and a list of attendees.
- To assist visitors with any catering arrangements such as checking that the catering is suitable and that a quiet area is available for eating.