Assembly to Celebrate International Women's Day by Challenging Barriers to Participation
Session: Session currently unavailable
Date: 08 March 2021
The Northern Ireland Assembly will celebrate this year’s International Woman’s Day 2021 with a series of short videos, involving women from different sectors and backgrounds, under the theme ‘Choose to Challenge’. The theme highlights the importance of challenging barriers, biases and misconceptions in the interest of creating a more inclusive and equal world.
Alex Maskey, MLA, Speaker of the Assembly said:
“It has been the tradition for the Assembly Speaker to host an event for International Women’s Day to recognise the importance of hearing women’s voices in the Assembly and in wider society.
“Following last year’s event where 90 young women spoke in the Assembly Chamber about the issues that mattered to them, this year we will broadcast a series of short videos. These videos will feature a broad range of women speaking about their journey to achievement, highlighting in particular how they approached and overcame the challenges they faced.
“Although we are unable to hold a physical event this year, I hope these videos will be a way of getting people talking and will encourage women, particularly young women, to think about what they can achieve.”
The videos will be published throughout tomorrow (Monday 8th March) at regular intervals on the Assembly social media channels – Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
In addition, Parliament Buildings will be lit purple on the evening of Monday 8th March to celebrate International Women’s Day 2021.
Notes to Editors
Participants in the Assembly’s International Women’s Day video series include:
- Michaela Walsh, International Boxer
- Amy-Mae Dolan, International Irish Dancer
- Michaela Hollywood, Disability Campaigner
- Marissa Callaghan, International Footballer
- Ciara Mageean, International Runner
- Cathy Gormley-Heenan, Deputy Vice Chancellor, Ulster University
- Arlene Foster MLA, First Minister
- Michelle O’Neill MLA, deputy First Minister
- Nichola Mallon MLA, Infrastructure Minister
- Clare Bailey MLA, Chairperson of the Assembly Women’s Caucus
- Paula Bradley MLA, Chairperson of Committee for Communities
- Caoimhe Archibald MLA, Chairperson of Economy Committee
- Jenny Pyper, Interim Head of the Civil Service
- Brenda King, Attorney General
- Kathryn Mills, Gymnast and Young Businesswoman of the Year, 2019.
- Lesley Hogg, Clerk/ Chief Executive NI Assembly
Assembly Social Media Channels links:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NorthernIrelandAssembly
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/niassembly
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/niassembly/
For media inquiries please contact:
Deputy Communications Officer
Northern Ireland Assembly
Tel: 07900 278992