Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 27 April 2010

Venue: Room 30

12.51pm The meeting commenced in public session

1. Apologies

As above

2. Minutes

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Minutes of the meeting of 20 April 2010

3. Matters arising

  • Correspondence issued

The Committee noted the correspondence issued since the meeting of 20 April 2010.

  • Correspondence received

The Committee noted the correspondence received since the meeting of 20 April 2010.

Agreed: The Committee a greed to write to the Department for Agriculture and Rural Development with support for a business case to be made to the Executive in relation to recent crop losses and noted c orrespondence from Mr John Henderson in relation to crop losses and the requirement for crop insurance and agreed to write to the Department seeking a response to the queries raised in the correspondence.

Agreed: The Committee noted a request from Mr Elliott to invite the Department to make a presentation on any reviews either complete or ongoing on the re-organisation of services and staff and proposals to remove front line services from some locations and agreed to request this presentation from the Department.

Agreed: The Committee noted a request from Mr Molloy to write a letter of support for hill farmers affected by recent poor weather and agreed to issue a letter of support.

Agreed: The Committee noted a request from Mr Elliott seeking further information on the Biomass Challenge Fund and agreed to write to the Department for further information.

4. Presentation: DARD – SL1: Statutory Biosecurity Guidance (Specification of Brucellosis) Order 2010

12.56pm The following departmental officials joined the meeting:

Colette McMaster – Assistant Secretary
Owen Denny – Senior Principal Veterinary Officer
Ian McKee - Principal Officer

The officials presented to Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

12.56pm Mr Bradley left the meeting
12.58pm Mr Savage left the meeting
1.01pm Mr Bradley rejoined the meeting
1.01pm Mr Savage rejoined the meeting
1.02pm Mr Shannon left the meeting
1.04pm Mr Shannon rejoined the meeting

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the above mentioned legislation should proceed to the next stage.

1.24pm The departmental officials left the meeting

5. Presentation: DARD – Rivers Agency Business Plan 2010-11

1.24pm The following departmental officials joined the meeting:

Pat Aldridge – Grade 6 – Director of Engineering

David Porter – Director of Development

The officials presented to Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions

1.45pm Mr Shannon left the meeting
1.49pm The departmental officials left the meeting

6. Pre-consultation: The Seed Potato Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010

Agreed: The Committee agreed that officials should present to Committee when a detailed analysis of responses has been undertaken

7. SR: The Eggs and Chicks Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer this item to allow the Department to address issues raised by the Examiner of Statutory Rules and return to the Committee with a detailed response.

8. SR – The Organic Farming (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010

Agreed: That the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development has considered the Organic Farming (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010 and has no objection to the rule.

9. SR – The Charges for Residues Surveillance Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010

Agreed: That the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development has considered the Charges for Residues Surveillance Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010 and has no objection to the rule.

1.53pm Mr Shannon rejoined the meeting

10. Engagement – Balmoral Show – 13 May 2010

Agreed: Committee Members agreed to advise the Clerk of their availability to attend the Committee meeting and event at the Balmoral Show on 13 May 2010

12. AOB

Agreed: The Committee noted a request from Mr Irwin to write to the Department for further information regarding the eligibility criteria for applications under Measure 3.4 of the Northern Ireland Rural Development Programme (Basic Services) and the delay in processing these applications and agreed to write to the Department on this matter.

Agreed: The Committee noted a request from Mr Clarke to seek briefings from all bodies involved in management of habitats in light of recent gorse fires and agreed to write to the Department and other relevant bodies seeking information on what action is being taken.

Agreed: The Committee noted a request from Mr Irwin to invite representatives from the Northern Ireland Fruit Growers’ Association to make a presentation to the Committee on difficulties facing the industry and agreed to issue this invitation.

13. Date of the next meeting

The next Committee meeting will be on Thursday 13 May 2010 at 10.30am in the NI Assembly marquee at the Balmoral Show, followed by a Q & A session at 2pm.

1.55pm The meeting was adjourned

Mr Ian Paisley Jnr.
Chairperson, Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development

Find MLAs

tools-map.png

Locate MLAs

Search

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up-to-date with the Assembly

Find out more