MINUTES OF THE PROCEEDINGS OF THE SEVENTY FIRST MEETING OF THE EDUCATION COMMITTEE IN ROOM 152 PARLIAMENT BUILDINGS ON TUESDAY 20 NOVEMBER 2001 Present:
Mr D Kennedy (Chairman)
Mr S Wilson (Deputy Chairman)
Mr T Gallagher
Mr O Gibson
Mr T Hamilton
Mr G McHugh
Mr K Robinson
Mr J Fee
Mrs C Darrah
Mrs V Artt
Miss P Bradley
Ms C Angelone
Ms G Kane (Assembly Research Directorate)
The Committee met at 12.30 p.m. in private session.
Minutes of the Meeting of 13 November 2001
The minutes of the meeting of 13 November were agreed.
- The Committee noted that arrangements were in hand for Mr Craig Clement, of Angus District Council, to attend the meeting scheduled for 29 November to brief the Committee on Devolved School Management arrangements in Scotland.
3. Consideration of Issues for Inclusion in the Committee Report on the Proposals for a Common Funding Formula
- The Chairman welcomed Mrs Penny McKeown the Committee's Specialist Adviser, to the meeting. Further information on a number of issues, including the handling of VAT and standardised tests used by the Southern Education and Library Board, was discussed.
- The Committee considered two matters regarding the proposals for dealing with Premises and Grounds Costs within a Common Funding Formula and agreed recommendations.
- The Committee discussed the Proposals for the Targeting Social Need Factor and agreed a number of recommendations.
Mr Gibson left the meeting at 2.10 p.m. and Mr Gallagher joined the meeting at 2.20 p.m.
- Mrs McKeown briefed the Committee on general and strategic issues arising from the proposals, individual concerns raised by different sectors and equality issues. Following a detailed discussion the Committee agreed a number of points and recommendations for inclusion in the Report.
Mr Wilson left the meeting at 2.30 p.m.
- The Committee agreed that a first draft of the Committee report would be considered at the meeting scheduled for 29 November 2001.
- The Committee considered possible options for the printing and publishing schedule for the Report and agreed its preferred option. The Committee also agreed that an advance copy of the Report should be provided to the Minister of Education.
4. Date and time of next meeting.
The next meeting of the Committee was scheduled for Thursday 22 November at 10.15 a.m. in Room 135, Parliament Buildings.
The meeting was adjourned at 3.15 p.m.