MINUTES OF THE PROCEEDINGS OF THE SIXTY NINTH MEETING OF THE EDUCATION COMMITTEE IN ROOM 135 PARLIAMENT BUILDINGS ONTUESDAY 13 NOVEMBER 2001
Mr D Kennedy (Chairman)
Mr S Wilson (Deputy Chairman)
Mrs E Bell
Mr T Gallagher
Mr O Gibson
Ms P Lewsley
Mr G McHugh
Mr K Robinson
Mrs C Darrah
Mrs V Artt
Miss P Bradley
Ms C Angelone
Ms G Kane (Assembly Research Directorate)
The Committee met at 12.30 p.m. in private session.
Consideration of Issues for Inclusion in the Committee Report on the Proposals for a Common Funding Formula
- The Chairman welcomed, Mrs Penny McKeown, the Committee's Specialist Adviser, to the meeting. Mrs McKeown briefed the Committee on the proposals in relation to the Treatment of Teachers' Salaries and summarised the evidence received by the Committee on this issue from a number of organisations and individuals. Following a lengthy and detailed discussion the Committee agreed its position regarding this matter. The Committee also agreed that further information should be obtained.
- A paper presented by Mrs McKeown on Small School Issues was discussed and the Committee agreed recommendations for inclusion in the Report.
Mr Wilson joined the meeting at 1.20 p.m.
- Following a short discussion, a number of recommendations regarding the proposals for dealing with Premises and Grounds Costs within a Common Funding Formula were agreed.
- The Committee agreed to meet on Tuesday 20 November at 12.30 p.m. to continue the discussion on the Premises and Grounds Costs and to cover other issues arising from the Common Funding Formula Proposals.
2. Date and time of next meeting.
The next meeting of the Committee was scheduled for Thursday 15 November 2001 at 10.15 a.m. in Room 135, Parliament Buildings, when the Minister of Education was due to attend to discuss the Draft Programme for Government and Public Service Agreement.
The meeting was adjourned at 1.40 p.m.