Minutes of Proceedings
Date: 27 September 2000
In attendance for public evidence session at 11:00am: Ards & down Salmonid Enhancement Association - Dr P Boaden, Mr P Johnston, Mr J Milbourne, Mr J Mcknight and Mr P Sibley
In attendance for public evidence session at 11:30am: Mr N Armstrong
In attendance for public evidence session at 12:00pm: Northern Ireland Tourist Board - Mr M McCormick, Mr G Browne and Miss K Hope
The meeting opened, in private, at 10.25am
Mr J Wilson took the Chair, proposed by Mr I Davis and seconded by Mr K McCarthy
1. Chairperson's business
- The Chairperson advised members that they would depart at 9am on 29 September for the Committee's visit to the Inland Waterways.
- The Chairperson advised members that rooms had been provisionally booked in the Park House Hotel in Galway and that numbers must be firmed up with the Committee Office staff.
Mr E ONeill joined the meeting at 10:29am and took over the Chair
Mr J Shannon joined the meeting at 10:30am
- The Chairperson reminded members about the press lunch on Thursday 5 October.
- The Chairperson advised members that a further letter providing alternative dates has been received from the Joint Committee for Tourism, Sport and Recreation in Dublin. Members will agree a suitable date at the next meeting.
Agreed - that photographs would be carefully selected for inclusion in the Report produced on conclusion of the inquiry into Inland Fishing.
Agreed - that Mr Wilson would liaise with the Committee Clerk regarding the finding of a specialist advisor to guide the Committee on the finalisation of the Report.
Agreed - that Committee Office staff would produce a list of the key issues.
- The Chairperson advised members that the Department had advised that rules laid down by the Office of the First and Deputy First Ministers may prohibit the Committee becoming involved in the PRONI case as it is classified as a Personnel matter. This will be confirmed by the Department at a later date.
- The Chairperson advised members that the IFA would have been delighted to receive sponsorship from Northern Ireland Industry for the Northern Ireland v Denmark football match but no interest was shown.
Apologies were received from Dr Adamson.
3. Minutes of the last meeting
The minutes of the last meeting were agreed.
4. Matters arising
Mr Shannon raised the point that the word 'knowingly' should be included in Section 48 of the Fisheries (Amendment) Bill. This will be reviewed when the Committee examines the Fisheries (Amendment) Bill.
5. Statutory Rule No 248
The Chairperson advised members that he had documentation which indicated that it was the Minister's view that this was a DARD and not a CAL Rule.
Agreed - that due to the inability of the Loughs Agency to give evidence to the Committee on 3 October a letter would issue seeking their views on the substantial fee increases and the ten year gap in the increases.
6. Fisheries (Amendment) Bill
Agreed -that the Committee would call up six organisations to give evidence on the Fisheries (Amendment) Bill and that the six would be asked to submit written submissions in advance.
Agreed - that the Committee would table a motion for an extension.
7. Fishing Inquiry
The Chairperson reminded members of the need for careful reading of the Minutes of Evidence and the meeting of the deadlines.
8. Any other business
Agreed - that the Committee should re-schedule the visit to Carnroe for 6 October.
Agreed - that the Committee would seek detailed information from the Department regarding the consultation that it carried out before the introduction of Carp to Northern Ireland.
Agreed - that the Committee would consider the invitation received from the Ulster Farmers Union.
9. Public evidence session - Ards & Down Salmonid Enhancement Association
Ards & Down Salmonid Enhancement Association gave oral evidence, in public, to the Committee on its inquiry into Inland Fishing.
10. Public evidence session - Mr N Armstrong
Mr N Armstrong gave oral evidence, in public, to the Committee on its inquiry into Inland Fishing.
Mrs M Nelis joined the meeting at 12:04 pm
Mr F Agnew joined the meeting at 12:06 pm
11. Public evidence session - Northern Ireland Tourist Board
The Northern Ireland Tourist Board gave oral evidence, in public, to the Committee on its inquiry into Inland Fishing.
12. Date of next meeting
The next meeting of the Committee will take place on Thursday 5 October at 10.15am in the Senate Chamber.
The meeting closed at 12:50pm
Mr E ONeill