Minutes of Proceedings
Date: 20 September 2000
In attendance for public evidence session at 11:00am: Mr B.Johnston
In attendance for public evidence session at 11:30am: Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.- Mr C Mellon and Mr N Johnston
The meeting opened, in private, at 10.28am
1. Chairperson's business
- The Chairperson reminded members of the rules on the use of the Senate Chamber.
- The Chairperson advised members that the visit to Carnroe due to take place this afternoon has been postponed. The visit is to be rescheduled, if possible, before the end of the fishing season.
- The Chairperson reminded members that the meeting on 28 September will be in Room 152.
- The Chairperson advised members that he had received a thank you letter from Roisin McDonough, the new Chief Executive of the Arts Council.
- The Chairperson advised members that the Minister will attend the next North / South Ministerial Council meeting in Dublin.
- The members were updated on arrangements for the visit to Galway to take place from Wednesday 25 October returning Friday 27 October.
Apologies were received from Dr Adamson, Mr Agnew, Mr Hilditch, Mr McMenamin, Mr Shannon and Mr Wilson.
3. Minutes of the last meeting
The minutes of the last meeting were agreed.
4. Matters arising
Agreed - that whilst the Committee is considering the Fisheries (Amendment) Bill the visit by Nigel Carson to update the Committee on the Irish Language situation will be put on hold.
5. Fisheries Amendment Bill
Agreed - that scrutiny of the Bill is a priority.
Agreed -that Research will provide an 'in-house' advisory service to the Committee.
Agreed -that the Committee will require to meet at least three times to discuss the Bill.
Agreed - that if members wish to table amendments they will advise the Committee Clerk in advance.
6. Statutory Rule No 248
The Chairperson advised members that the Statutory Rule, 2000 No 248 Fisheries Foyle Area (Rivers Finn and Foyle Angling Permits) Regulations 2000 has been referred to the CAL Committee to consider its merits.
Agreed - that the Loughs Agency should be called to give oral evidence if possible on 3 October.
7. Fishing Inquiry
Agreed - that the Committee should call up the Foyle Carlingford and Irish Lights Commission to give oral evidence.
8. Any other business
Agreed - that follow-up action should take place to establish the positions on the PRONI case and the query on sponsorship for the Northern Ireland v Denmark IFA match.
9. Public evidence session - Mr B Johnston
Mr B Johnston gave oral evidence, in public, to the Committee on its inquiry into Inland Fishing.
10. Public evidence session - Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds gave oral evidence, in public, to the Committee on its inquiry into Inland Fishing.
11. Date of next meeting
The next meeting of the Committee will take place on Thursday 28 September at 10.15am in Room 152.
The meeting closed at 12:27pm
Mr E ONeill