Committee for Education Welcomes Minister
Date: 18 May 2007
Reference: EDU 01/07
The first meeting of the Northern Ireland Assembly’s Committee for Education was today attended by Minister of Education, Caitríona Ruane.
The Minister was welcomed by Chairperson, Mr Sammy Wilson, MP. The meeting was also attended by the Department of Education Permanent Secretary, Mr Will Haire, and senior colleagues.
After an introduction by the Minister, senior officials briefed the Committee on the work of the Department and the key issues facing education.
Mr Wilson said:
“The Committee will have a scrutiny, policy development and consultation role, which will be vital in advising the Minister on the policy and plans of the Department”.
The Committee agreed its terms of reference:
- consider and advise on departmental budgets and annual plans in the context of the overall budget allocation;
- approve relevant secondary legislation and take the Committee Stage of relevant primary legislation;
- call for persons and papers;
- initiate inquiries and make reports; and
- consider and advise on matters brought to the Committee by its Minister.