Minutes of Proceedings
Date: 12 May 2011
Venue: Assembly Chamber
The Assembly met at noon.
1. Notice of First Meeting
In accordance with Standing Order 2(1) the Clerk to the Assembly gave notice that the Assembly will meet, as required by section 31(4) of the Northern Ireland Act 1998, in Parliament Buildings on Thursday 12 May 2011 at noon.
The Speaker took the Chair.
2. Roll of Membership
The Speaker outlined the procedure for signing the Roll of Membership. The Speaker signed the Roll of Membership.
Members signed the Roll and indicated a designation of identity.
The following members designated as Nationalist:
Ms Martina Anderson, Mr Alex Attwood, Mr Cathal Boylan, Ms Michaela Boyle, Mr Dominic Bradley, Mr Mickey Brady, Mr Joe Byrne, Mr Willie Clarke, Mr John Dallat, Mr Pat Doherty, Mr Mark H Durkan, Mr Colum Eastwood, Mr Phil Flanagan, Ms Michelle Gildernew, Mrs Dolores Kelly, Mr Gerry Kelly, Mr Seán Lynch, Mr Fra McCann, Ms Jennifer McCann, Mr Raymond Mc Cartney, Mr Conall McDevitt, Dr Alastair McDonnell, Mr Barry McElduff, Mr Patsy McGlone, Mr Martin McGuinness, Mr Daithí McKay, Mrs Karen McKevitt, Mr Mitchel McLaughlin, Mr Oliver McMullan, Mr Alban Maginness, Mr Alex Maskey, Mr Paul Maskey, Mr Francie Molloy, Mr Conor Murphy, Ms Carál Ní Chuilín, Mr Cathal Ó hOisín, Mr John O’Dowd, Mrs Michelle O’Neill, Mr Pat Ramsey, Ms Sue Ramsey, Ms Margaret Ritchie, Ms Caitríona Ruane, Mr Pat Sheehan.
The following Members designated as Unionist:
Mr Jim Allister, Mr Sydney Anderson, Mr Roy Beggs, Mr Jonathan Bell, Ms Paula Bradley, Mr Thomas Buchanan, Mr Gregory Campbell, Mr Trevor Clarke, Mr Michael Copeland, Mr Jonathan Craig, Mr Leslie Cree, Mrs Jo-Anne Dobson, Mr Sammy Douglas, Mr Gordon Dunne, Mr Alex Easton, Mr Tom Elliott, Mrs Arlene Foster, Mr Paul Frew, Mr Samuel Gardiner, Mr Paul Girvan, Mr Paul Givan, Mrs Brenda Hale, Mr Simon Hamilton, Mr William Hay, Mr David Hilditch, Mr William Humphrey, Mr Ross Hussey, Mr William Irwin, Mr Danny Kennedy, Mr Danny Kinahan, Mrs Pam Lewis, Mr John McCallister, Mr Nelson McCausland, Mr David McClarty, Mr Basil McCrea, Mr Ian McCrea, Mr Michael McGimpsey, Mr David McIlveen, Miss Michelle McIlveen, Mr David McNarry, Mr Adrian McQuillan, Lord Morrow, Mr Stephen Moutray, Mr Mike Nesbitt, Mr Robin Newton, Mrs Sandra Overend, Mr Edwin Poots, Mr George Robinson, Rt Hon Peter Robinson, Mr Alastair Ross, Mr Jimmy Spratt, Mr Mervyn Storey, Mr Robin Swann, Mr Peter Weir, Mr Jim Wells, Mr Sammy Wilson.
The following Members designated as Other:
Mr Steven Agnew, Mrs Judith Cochrane, Mr Stewart Dickson, Dr Stephen Farry, Mr David Ford, Ms Anna Lo, Mr Trevor Lunn, Mr Chris Lyttle, Mr Kieran McCarthy.
The sitting was suspended at 12.45pm.
The sitting resumed at 2.30pm, with the Speaker in the Chair.
The Speaker confirmed that he was satisfied that all Members who have signed the Roll have taken their seats in accordance with Standing Orders.
3. Election of Speaker
As the outgoing Speaker was seeking re-election as Speaker, he left the Chair in accordance with Standing Order 4(2), and the Chair was taken by Mr Samuel Gardiner, the Acting Speaker.
The Acting Speaker, Mr Gardiner, took the Chair.
The Acting Speaker outlined the procedure for the election of a Speaker under Standing Order 4.
Mr Martin McGuinness nominated Mr William Hay as a candidate for the Office of Speaker. The Rt Hon Peter Robinson seconded the nomination. Mr Hay indicated his agreement to accept the nomination.
The Question being put, the Motion was carried with cross-community support nemine contradicente.
The Speaker took the Chair.
4. Election of Deputy Speakers
The Speaker advised that the procedure for election of Deputy Speakers would be the same as that for the election of the Speaker.
Mr Pat Doherty nominated Mr Francie Molloy as a Deputy Speaker.
Ms Carál Ní Chuilín seconded the nomination. Mr Molloy indicated his agreement to accept the nomination.
Mr Tom Elliott nominated Mr Roy Beggs as a Deputy Speaker.
Mr Danny Kennedy seconded the nomination. Mr Roy Beggs indicated his agreement to accept the nomination.
Ms Margaret Ritchie nominated Mr John Dallat as a Deputy Speaker.
Mr Patsy McGlone seconded the nomination. Mr Dallat indicated his agreement to accept the nomination.
The Question being put that Mr Francie Molloy be a Deputy Speaker, there was one dissenting voice. Tellers were called for a Division. Two Tellers presented for the Ayes and one for the Noes. In accordance with Standing Order 27(4) the determination of the Assembly was that of the side for which two Tellers had been nominated. The Motion was carried with cross-community support.
The Question being put that Mr Roy Beggs be a Deputy Speaker, the Motion was carried with cross-community support nemine contradicente.
The Question being put that Mr John Dallat be a Deputy Speaker, the Motion was carried with cross-community support nemine contradicente.
5. Appointment of the First Minister and deputy First Minister
The Speaker outlined the procedure for the appointment of the First Minister and deputy First Minister as set out in section 16A of the Northern Ireland Act 1998 and Standing Order 44(1).
Mr Sammy Wilson nominated the Rt Hon Peter Robinson as First Minister. Mr Doherty nominated Mr Martin McGuinness as deputy First Minister.
Rt Hon Peter Robinson affirmed the terms of the Pledge of Office contained in Schedule 4 to the Northern Ireland Act 1998.
Mr Martin McGuinness affirmed the terms of the Pledge of Office contained in Schedule 4 to the Northern Ireland Act 1998.
The Speaker confirmed that the Rt Hon Peter Robinson and Mr Martin McGuinness had taken up office as First Minister and deputy First Minister respectively.
6. Committee Business
6.1 Motion - Business Committee Membership
That the following shall be appointed to be members of the Business Committee:
The Speaker (Ex officio)
Mr S Dickson
Mr P Maskey
Mr J McCallister
Mr C McDevitt
The Lord Morrow
Ms C Ní Chuilín
Mr P Ramsey
Mr R Swann
Mr P Weir.
The Question being put, the Motion was carried without division.
That the Assembly do now adjourn.
The Assembly adjourned at 3.25pm.
Mr William Hay
12 May 2011
PLEDGE OF OFFICE AS SET OUT IN SCHEDULE 4 TO THE NORTHERN IRELAND ACT 1998
- to discharge in good faith all the duties of office;
- commitment to non-violence and exclusively peaceful and democratic means;
- to serve all the people of Northern Ireland equally, and to act in accordance with the general obligations on government to promote equality and prevent discrimination;
- to promote the interests of the whole community represented in the Northern Ireland Assembly towards the goal of a shared future;
- to participate fully in the Executive Committee, the North-South Ministerial Council and the British-Irish Council;
- to observe the joint nature of the offices of First Minister and deputy First Minister;
- to uphold the rule of law based as it is on the fundamental principles of fairness, impartiality and democratic accountability, including support for policing and the courts as set out in paragraph 6 of the St Andrews Agreement;
- to participate with colleagues in the preparation of a programme for government;
- to operate within the framework of that programme when agreed within the Executive Committee and endorsed by the Assembly;
- to support, and act in accordance with, all decisions of the Executive Committee and Assembly;
- to comply with the Ministerial Code of Conduct.
Paragraph 6 of the St Andrews Agreement says:
‘We believe that the essential elements of support for law and order include endorsing fully the Police Service of Northern Ireland and the criminal justice system, actively encouraging everyone in the community to co-operate fully with the PSNI in tackling crime in all areas and actively supporting all the policing and criminal justice institutions, including the Policing Board.’
Northern Ireland Assembly
Papers Presented to the Assembly on
6 - 12 May 2011
1. Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly
Civil Registration Act (Northern Ireland) 2011
Sunbeds Act (Northern Ireland) 2011
High Hedges Act (Northern Ireland) 2011
Housing (Amendment) Act (Northern Ireland) 2011
2. Bills of the Northern Ireland Assembly
3. Orders in Council
4. Publications Laid in the Northern Ireland Assembly
5. Assembly Reports
6. Statutory Rules
(The Department identified after each rule is for reference purposes only)
For Information Only:
- S.R 2011/175 The Road Races (Drumhorc Hill Climb) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011 (DRD)
- S.R. 2011/176 The Off-Street parking (Amendment No. 2) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011 (DRD)
- S.R. 2011/177 The Road Races (Circuit of Ireland International Rally) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011 (DRD)
- S.R. 2011/178 The Parking Places (Disabled Persons' Vehicles) (Amendment No.4) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011 (DRD)
- S.R. 2011/179 The Roads (Speed Limit) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011 (DRD)
- S.R. 2011/180 The Road Races (Tandragee 100) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011 (DRD)
- S.R. 2011/184 The Road Races (Gortin Hill Climb) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011 (DRD)
7. Written Ministerial Statements
8. Consultation Documents
Consultation on the Department for Regional Development’s Draft Equality Impact Assessment for Sustainable Transport Enabling Measures for Belfast City Centre (DRD)
Consultation on Proposed Changes to the Learner and Restricted Driver Schemes and on Graduated Driver Licensing (DOE)