Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 06 June 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

10.38am The meeting commenced in public session

1. Apologies

As above.

2. Chairperson’s Business

None 

3. Draft Minutes                     

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the meeting of 30th May 2012.             

4. Correspondence

Members noted the correspondence received.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel in respect of monitoring post project evaluations and agreed to forward it to the Department for comment. The Committee noted further correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel in respect of a budget scrutiny discussion paper and agreed that the Clerk would draft a response for consideration at the meeting on 20 June 2012.

Agreed: Members noted correspondence from the Department in respect of the Committee’s inquiry into un-adopted roads in Northern Ireland, and specifically NAMA properties subject to enforcement, and agreed to include it in the report.

Members noted correspondence from the Department in respect of queries raised by the Committee at its meeting on 16 May 2012 in respect of Translink.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in respect of Bike Week which is scheduled to commence on 16 June 2012.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in respect of the Active Travel Strategy.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in respect of the A5 Western Transport Corridor Inspector’s Report.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in respect of car parking charges.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Northern Ireland Greenways in respect of Departmental investment in the cycling infrastructure and agreed to forward it to the Department for comment.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Community Relations Council in respect of a comparative analysis between the draft and revised Regional Development Strategy.

Following a request from Translink, the Committee agreed to forward a copy of papers, with personal details appropriately redacted, considered by the Committee at its meeting on 9 May

10.43am Mr Dickson joined the meeting         

5. Guide Dogs for the Blind briefing:  AV Pilot

10.44am The following Representatives joined the meeting:

Andrew Murdock – Policy and Engagement Officer – Guide Dogs for the Blind

Gertrude Johnston – Guide Dog Owner

Henry Mayne – Social Worker – Belfast Health and Social Care Trust

Joanne McDonald – Equality Officer – MENCAP

The Representatives presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

11.01am Mr Hussey left the meeting

11.02am Mr Hussey re-joined the meeting

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister indicating its support for the implementation of the Audio Visual scheme to the public transport network in Northern Ireland.

11.08am The Representatives left the meeting

6. Departmental Briefing – AV Pilot

11.12am The following Officials joined the meeting:

Sean Johnston – Head of Public Transport Reform

Michael Deery - Audio Visual Project - Project Manager

The Officials presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

11.18am Mr McNarry joined the meeting

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for the Environment in respect of legislative change to support the installation of Audio Visual systems on all public transport buses. The Committee also agreed to write to the Department to inquire about the availability of funding from Europe which would support Audio Visual systems on public transport, particularly to assist those with disabilities.

11.37am Mr Dallat left the meeting

11.39am The Officials left the meeting

7. Northern Ireland Environment Agency Briefing – Unadopted Roads Inquiry

11.40am The following Official joined the meeting:

Mark Livingstone – Northern Ireland Environment Agency

The Official presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

11.52am Mr Dallat re-joined the meeting

11.55am Mr Hussey left the meeting

11.58am Mr Hussey re-joined the meeting

12.00pm The Official left the meeting

12.01pm Mrs Kelly left the meeting

8. NIIRTA Briefing – Car Parking

12.02pm The following Representatives joined the meeting:

Glyn Roberts – Chief Executive, Northern Ireland Independent Retail Trade Association
Peter Carrington – Chairman, Lisburn Road Business Association

Adrian Farrell – President of the Portadown Chamber of Commerce

Aodhan Connolly – NI Retail Consortium

12.02pm Mr Moutray declared an interest as a member of NIIRTA

12.04pm Mrs Kelly re-joined the meeting

The Representatives presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

12.29pm Mr Moutray left the meeting

12.39pm Mr McNarry left the meeting

12.46pm Mr McNarry re-joined the meeting

12.58pm The Representatives left the meeting

9. SL1: The Traffic Signs (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that it is content with the merits of the policy proposals.

10. SR2012/196: The Durham Street and Hamill Street-Killen Street, Belfast (Stopping-up) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee for Regional Development considered Statutory Rule 2012/196: The Durham Street and Hamill Street-Killen Street, Belfast (Stopping-up) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the rule.

12.58pm Mr McCrea left the meeting

11. SR2012/203: The Penalty Charges (Prescribed Amounts) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012

The Deputy Chair put the Question:

Question: That the Committee for Regional Development has considered Statutory Rule 2012/203 The Penalty Charges (Prescribed Amounts) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012 and has no objection to the rule.

The Committee divided:         Ayes 1; Noes 4.

Ayes: Mr Hussey

Noes: Mr Doherty; Mr Dickson; Mrs Kelly; Mr McNarry

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek an annulment to the proposed statutory rule

12. SR2012/207: The Route U5160, Carnbane Industrial Estate, Newry (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee for Regional Development considered Statutory Rule 2012/207 The Route U5160, Carnbane Industrial Estate, Newry (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the rule.

13. SR2012/208: The Route B30 Newry Road, Crossmaglen (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee for Regional Development considered Statutory Rule 2012/208 The Route B30 Newry Road, Crossmaglen (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the rule.

14. SR2012/209: The Marine Highway, Carrickfergus (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee for Regional Development considered Statutory Rule 2012/209 The Marine Highway, Carrickfergus (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the rule.

15. SR2012/210: The Longlands Avenue, Newtownabbey, (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed:The Committee for Regional Development considered Statutory Rule SR2012/210: The Longlands Avenue, Newtownabbey, (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the rule.

16. SR2012/211: The Browning Drive, Londonderry (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee for Regional Development considered Statutory Rule SR2012/211: The Browning Drive, Londonderry (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the rule.

17. Any other business

None

18. Date of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will be Wednesday 13th June 2012 at 10.30am in Room 21.

1.07pm The meeting was adjourned

Mr Pat Doherty MLA
Deputy Chairperson, Committee for Regional Development
13th June 2012


Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us