Minutes of Proceedings
Date: 29 February 2012
Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings
10.31am - The meeting commenced in public session
10.31am - The Committee Clerk took the Chair for the election of a Committee Chairperson
Motion: - That Mr Joe Byrne does take the Chair of the Committee
Proposer: - Mr Stuart Dickson MLA
Seconder: - Mr Sean Lynch MLA
There were no further nominations. The motion was passed.
1. Ministerial briefing: EU Priorities
10.33am - The Minister for Regional Development and the following Departmental Officials joined the meeting:
Deborah McNeilly – Finance Director
Déaglán Coleman – Departmental EU Co-ordinator
The Minister and Officials presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.
Agreed: - The Minister agreed to update the Committee on delays on the Larne Railway Line and to provide comparative information on the funding received by Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland in respect of roads infrastructure.
11.11am The Officials left the meeting
3. Chairperson’s Business
4. Draft Minutes
Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the meeting of 22nd February 2012.
Members noted correspondence received.
Correspondence from AGE NI in relation to the draft Programme for Government 2011-15.
Agreed: Correspondence from the Clerk to the Committee for Finance and Personnel in relation to the review of budget allocations for 2013/14 and 2014/15 encouraging the Committee to engage with the Department in the analysis of departmental performance for 2011/12 and to feed into one centralised response by that Committee. It was agreed that the Committee Clerk would check on PEDU’s involvement in the matter.
Correspondence from the Department in relation to a consultation paper on the Marine Strategy Framework Directive.
A copy of correspondence between the Quarry Products Association and the Minister for Regional Development in relation to structural maintenance funding.
6. Community Transport Association Briefing – Community Transport Issues
11.14am The following Representative joined the meeting:
Kellie Armstrong – Director for Northern Ireland, Community Transport Association
11.19am Mrs Kelly joined the meeting
The Representative presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.
Agreed: Following the presentation the Committee agreed a number of actions:
- To write to the Department in relation to the grant cycle for the CTA, seeking to have it extended from the current one year arrangement;
- to write to the Department and the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development seeking information on discussions in relation to the Assisted Rural Travel Scheme;
- to write to the Department seeking information on the review of the Concessionary Fare Scheme and the rural issues pertinent to the review;
- to write to the Committee for Health, Social Services and Public Safety in relation to transport to medical appointments for the elderly and those with disabilities;
- to commission a research paper in relation to the cost of providing community transport and a further paper on best practice in respect of better regulation within Departments; and
- to write to the Committee for the Environment seeking information on Bus Operators Licenses in respect of community transport.
12.10am The Representative left the meeting
7. Update on Committee Inquiry
The Clerk provided an update on the Committee Inquiry into Unadopted Roads in Northern Ireland. Members noted a nil return from NAMA in relation to the call for evidence.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to NAMA seeking information on surety bonds which they may hold in respect of unadopted roads in Northern Ireland, and to ask the Department for their views on the value of bonds held by NAMA.
8. Subordinate legislation not subject to Assembly procedure
- The Parking and Waiting Restrictions (Strabane) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
- The Road Races (Spamount Hill Climb) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
9. Statutory Rule: SR2012/30: The Ballydogherty Road (U5003), Loughgilly (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
Agreed: The Committee for Regional Development considered Statutory Rule SR2012/30: The Ballydogherty Road (U5003), Loughgilly (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the rule.
10. Statutory Rule: SR2012/31: The North Circular Road and Tarry Lane, Lurgan (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
Agreed: The Committee for Regional Development considered Statutory Rule SR2012/31: The North Circular Road and Tarry Lane, Lurgan (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the rule.
11. Statutory Rule: SR2012/43: The Old Church Road, Newtownabbey (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
Agreed: The Committee for Regional Development considered Statutory Rule SR2012/43: The Old Church Road, Newtownabbey (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the rule.
12. Any other business
13. Date of the next meeting
The next meeting of the Committee will be Wednesday 14th March 2012 at 10.30am in Room 21 Parliament Buildings.
12.19pm The meeting was adjourned
Mr Pat Doherty MLA
Deputy Chairperson, Committee for Regional Development
14th March 2012