Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 02 May 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

10.30am The meeting commenced in public session

1. Apologies

As above.

2. Chairperson’s Business

The Deputy Chairperson welcomed Mr John Dallat, MLA as the newly appointed Member of the Committee.

Agreed: It was agreed that the Deputy Chairperson would write to the outgoing Members, Mr Joe Byrne MLA and Mr Roy Beggs MLA, thanking them for their work on the Committee.

The Deputy Chairperson updated Members on recent discussions with the Minister for Regional Development, Mr Danny Kennedy MLA, on car parking charges and car parking penalties. Members noted that it had been agreed that the Chief Executive of Translink would appear before the Committee at its meeting on 16 May.

10.33am Mr Hussey joined the meeting 

The Deputy Chairperson welcomed Mr Ross Hussey, MLA as the newly appointed Member of the Committee.

The Deputy Chairperson also updated Members on the recent Committee visit to Brussels to discuss matters relating to the TEN-T project.

3. Draft Minutes                       

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the meeting of 18th April 2012.

4. Correspondence 

Members noted correspondence received.

Agreed: The Committee received correspondence from the Minister for Agriculture and Rural Development in relation to the decision to continue the Assisted Rural Travel Scheme until March 2015, pending business case approval and EQIA processes. Members agreed to write to the Department seeking an update on the internal business case.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Health, Social Services and Public Safety in respect of the ‘Pro-Life’ Strategy and agreed to forward it to the Department for comment.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Public Accounts Committee in relation to the memorandum of reply on road openings by utilities.

The Committee noted correspondence the Department for Regional Development and the Committee for Justice in respect of the draft Community Safety Strategy.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in respect of the A8 Belfast to Larne dualling and agreed to request a departmental briefing on the matter.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in response to queries raised by Members at the Committee meeting on 28 March regarding the Department’s draft Business Plan 2012/13.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in respect of the A5 Western Transport Corridor and agreed to request a copy of the relevant Inspectors report.

The Committee noted a copy of a member’s legislative proposal relating to co-operation on children’s services.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from Hoy Dorman Consulting in relation to un-adopted roads and agreed to include it in the Committee’s on-going report.

5. Consumer Council Briefing – Oral Briefing on Un-adopted Roads Inquiry

10.43am The following Officials joined the meeting:

10.46am Mr McCrea joined the meeting

Graham Smith – Head of Water

Robert Dempster – Senior Consumer Affairs Officer

The Officials presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

11.19am The Officials left the meeting

6. Law Society Briefing – Oral Briefing on Un-adopted Roads Inquiry

11.19am The following representatives joined the meeting:

11.23am Mr McCrea left the meeting

Brian Spears – Law Society

Anne Brown – Chairwoman of the Conveyancing & Property Committee

Imelda McMillan – Law Society President

The representatives presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

11.45am Mr Moutray left the meeting

11.46am  Mr McNarry left the meeting

11.48am  Mr Lynch left the meeting

11.50am  Mr Lynch re-joined the meeting

11.54am  Mr McNarry re-joined the meeting

11.59am  Mr Ó’hOisín left the meeting

12.04pm The representatives left the meeting

7. Building Control Briefing – Oral Briefing on Un-adopted Roads Inquiry

12.06pm The following representatives joined the meeting:

Ian Wilson – Lisburn City Council

Jonathan Hayes – Armagh City and District Council

Ken Hunter – Southern Group Building Control

Trevor Martin – Belfast City Council

The representatives presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

12.28pm The Officials left the meeting

8. Departmental Briefing – PFG Delivery Plans

12.29pm The following Officials joined the meeting:

Deborah McNeilly – Director of Finance

Tom Reid – Director of Transport Policy, Strategy and Legislation

John Mills – Director of Water Policy Division

Philip Hamilton – Principal Engineer Strategic Programmes, Roads Service

The Officials presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

Agreed: Officials agreed to update the Committee on information relating to the Enterprise Train Service and the possibility of railroad works being carried out outside normal working hours. 

12.43pm Mr Hussey left the meeting

12.44pm  Mr Dickson left the meeting

12.47pm  Mr Dickson re-joined the meeting

12.48pm  Mr Dallat left the meeting

12.50pm  Mr Hussey re-joined the meeting

12.55pm  Mr Dickson left the meeting 

12.57pm   The Officials left the meeting

9. Subordinate legislation not subject to Assembly procedure

Members noted:

  • SL1 –The Parking and Waiting Restrictions (Strabane) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • SL1 –The Parking Places and Loading Bays on Roads (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • SL1 –The Parking Places on Roads (Toome) (Northern Ireland) 2012

 

10. SL1: The Route U5160 Carnbane Industrial Estate, Newry (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that it is content with the policy merits of these proposals.

11.  Statutory Rule: SR 2012/129 The College Avenue, Belfast (Stopping-Up) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee for Regional Development considered Statutory Rule 2012/129 The College Avenue, Belfast (Stopping-Up) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the rule.

12. Any other business

None.

13. Date of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will be Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

13.00pm The meeting was adjourned  

Mr Pat Doherty MLA
Deputy Chairperson, Committee for Regional Development
9th May 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us