Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 15 February 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

10.30am          The meeting commenced in public session

1. Apologies

Mr Seán Lynch MLA

2. Chairperson’s Business

None                                                                                                                                            

3. Draft Minutes

Agreed:           The Committee agreed the minutes of the meeting of 8th February 2012.

10.32am          Mrs Kelly joined the meeting.

4. Correspondence

Members noted correspondence received.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in relation to the Accessible Transport Strategy

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department on the de-agentisation of Roads Service.

Agreed:           The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in relation to transfers between transport hubs.  The issue had originally been raised by a member of the public through the Committee.  The Committee agreed to update Ms Garvin on the matter.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in relation to the Business Plan 2011-12.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Speaker in relation to a public petition regarding car parking in College Park Avenue, Belfast.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel and agreed that it be forwarded to the Department for comment.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Environment, Transport, Culture and Gaeltacht Affairs thanking the Committee for its hospitality and co-operation during the recent visit to Parliament Buildings.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Quarry Products Association in relation to ground radar technology.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from a member of the public in relation to road dangers to cyclists and the lack of infrastructure for cyclists, particularly in Belfast and agreed to forward this to the Department to respond directly.

The Committee noted an update on the work of IMTAC.

The Committee noted correspondence from Ms Killen in relation to the Old Church Road Abandonment Order.

5. Departmental briefing: Development of long term water strategy 

10.35am          The following Departmental Officials joined the meeting:

Stuart Wightman – Head of Environment Team – Water Policy Division

Julian Smyth – Water Policy Division

Ryan Bartlett – Water Policy Division

10.35am          Mr Beggs joined the meeting

The Officials presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

10.52am            Mr Moutray left the meeting

Agreed:             It was agreed that the Officials would provide statistical information to the Committee in relation to water leakage and the anticipated cost of bringing it under control.

11.13am           Mr Moutray rejoined the meeting

11.18am          The Officials left the meeting

6. Departmental Briefing – Control Over Land Order

11.19am          The following Officials joined the meeting:

Brian White – Director of Ports and Public Transport

George Kearns – Policy/Legislation Branch, Ports and Public Transport Division

The Officials presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

Agreed:           The Committee noted the policy merits of the proposals in relation to Control Over Land Orders.

11.29am          The Officials left the meeting

11.30am          Mr Doherty left the meeting

7. Subordinate legislation not subject to Assembly procedure

Members noted:

  • The Parking Places and Loading Bays on Roads (Londonderry) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Parking Places on Roads (Kilkeel) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Prohibition of Traffic (Lenadoon, Belfast) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Prohibition of Traffic (Lower Windsor, Belfast) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Roads Races (Bush, Dungannon) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

 

8. SL1: The Grange Lodge, Antrim (Abandonment) order (Northern Ireland) 2012 

  • Agreed:  The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that the Committee is content with the policy merits of these proposals.

 

9. SL1: The Shore Road and Northwood Parade, Belfast (Abandonment) Order (Northern                   Ireland) 2012 

  • Agreed:  The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that the Committee is content with the policy merits of these proposals.

 

10. SL1: The Loopland Court, Belfast (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 


  • Agreed:  The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that the Committee is content with the policy merits of these proposals.

 

11. Any other business

Mr McNarry raised concerns regarding the procurement process around the awarding of contracts for the planned roads infrastructure improvements. It was noted that the Committee had been briefed on the matter before Mr McNarry had joined the Committee and that the Clerk would provide the Member with copies of the relevant briefing papers.

12. Date of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will be Wednesday 22nd February 2012 at 10.30am in Room 21 Parliament Buildings.

11.43am          The meeting was adjourned

Mr Jimmy Spratt MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Regional Development
22nd February 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us