Minutes of Proceedings
Date: 12 September 2012
Venue: The Senate Chamber
2:00 pm The meeting opened in public session.
Apologies are listed above.
The Chairperson welcomed new members Seán Rogers and Daithí McKay to the Committee, and congratulated John Dallat on his new office of Deputy Chairperson.
2. Minutes of the meeting on 5 September 2012
Agreed: The minutes of the last meeting were agreed.
3. Matters Arising
The Chairperson welcomed members of the Public Accounts Committee from the National Assembly for Wales, and the Auditor General for Wales, who were in the public gallery to observe proceedings.
4. Evidence on the Northern Ireland Audit Office Report ‘Northern Ireland Housing Executive Management of Response Maintenance Contracts’.
The Committee took oral evidence on the above report from:
- Mr Will Haire, Accounting Officer, Department for Social Development (DSD);
- Dr John McPeake, Chief Executive, Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE);
- Mr Jim Wilkinson, Director of Housing, Department for Social Development (DSD); and
- Mr Gerry Flynn, Director – Housing and Regeneration, Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE).
2:05 pm The Chairperson, Mr Anderson and Mr Dallat declared an interest stating that they had each formerly been members of the Housing Council.
2:36 pm Mr Girvan left the meeting.
2:38 pm Mr Girvan entered the meeting.
2:48 pm Mr Dallat and Mr Easton left the meeting.
2:55 pm Mr Dallat and Mr Easton entered the meeting.
3:28 pm Mr McKay left the meeting.
3:33 pm Mr McKay entered the meeting.
3:57 pm Mr Girvan left the meeting.
3:59 pm Mr Dallat left the meeting.
4:01 pm Mr McKay left the meeting.
4:03 pm Mr Girvan entered the meeting.
4:09 pm Mr Dallat entered the meeting.
4:23 pm Mr McLaughlin left the meeting.
4:30 pm Mr McLaughlin entered the meeting.
4:31 pm Mr Rogers left the meeting.
4:39 pm Mr Anderson left the meeting.
5:10 pm Mr Dallat left the meeting.
5:16 pm Mr Dallat entered the meeting.
5:18 pm Mr Easton left the meeting.
The witnesses answered a number of questions put by the Committee.
Mr Ross Hussey submitted in evidence correspondence between Mr Haire and the former Chairman of the Housing Executive, Brian Rowntree, and an NIHE minute of a meeting between Mr Rowntree and elected representatives.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to request further information from the witnesses.
5. Any other business
There was no other business.
6. Date, time and place of next meeting
The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, 19 September 2012 at 2:00 pm in Room 29, Parliament Buildings.
The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 5:58 pm.
Ms Michaela Boyle
Chairperson, Public Accounts Committee
19 September 2012.