Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 01 May 2013

Venue: Room 29, Parliament Buildings

2:02 pm The meeting opened in public session.

1. Apologies

Apologies are listed above.

2:03 pm Mr Girvan, Mr Hazzard and Mr McQuillan entered the meeting.

2. Minutes of the meeting on 24 April 2013

Agreed: The minutes of the last meeting were agreed.

3. Matters Arising

Correspondence from a Member of the Public re Safety of Services in HSC Trusts report

2:05 pm Mr McKay left the meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence from a member of the public querying why the Audit Office report did not consult groups who have suffered following bad practices within the Health Service.

2:07 pm Mr McKay entered the meeting.

The C&AG briefed the Committee on the approach taken by the Audit Office, acknowledged the issue raised by the author and undertook to factor this issue into future work.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to respond to the author of the letter.

Correspondence from the Department for Social Development

The Committee noted correspondence from Mr Will Haire, Accounting Officer, Department for Social Development providing an update on the progress made against the recommendations in the Committee's previous report on 'Creating Effecting Partnerships between Government and the Voluntary and Community Sector'.

2:17 pm Mr Hussey declared an interest stating that he is the secretary of the Kevlin Community and Development Association.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek a further update in 12 months and further agreed to forward the correspondence to the Committee for Social Development for its information.

Correspondence from the Department of Finance and Personnel

The Committee noted correspondence from Ms Fiona Hamill, Treasury Officer of Accounts, DFP providing the additional information sought by the Committee following its consideration of 'DFP's Annual Theft and Fraud Report'.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Ms Hamill to clarify some of the information contained within the response.

2:28 pm The meeting went into closed session.

Correspondence from the Northern Ireland Audit Office

2:28 pm Mr McKay declared an interest stating that he has previously acted of behalf of the author in his capacity as a former member of the Policing Board and was named in the correspondence.

2:28 pm Mr Hussey declared an interest stating that he is chairman of the Audit Committee of the Northern Ireland Policing Board.

The Committee noted correspondence from Mr Kieran Donnelly, Comptroller and Auditor General providing an update on a matter previously referred during the course of its inquiry on 'PSNI: Use of Agency Staff'.

4. Inquiry on 'Improving Literacy and Numeracy Achievement in Schools'

Correspondence from the Department of Education

The Committee noted correspondence from Mr Paul Sweeney, Accounting Officer, Department of Education providing the additional information sought by it following its evidence session on 13 March 2013.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek some additional information to assist in its deliberations.

5. Inquiry on 'Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service: An Organisational Assessment and Review of Departmental Oversight' and Report on Accounts 2011/12

The Committee considered and developed an issues paper relating to the evidence session held on 'Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service: An Organisational Assessment and Review of Departmental Oversight' and Report on Accounts 2011/12.

3:11 pm Mr McQuillan left the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the media supplier referred to the during its evidence session to clarify some information; and to pose further written questions to the Department.

3:15 pm Mr Hussey declared an interest stating that he is chairman of the Audit Committee of the Northern Ireland Policing Board.

3:15 pm Mr Hussey left the meeting.

6. Inquiry on 'PSNI: Use of Agency Staff'

The Committee considered its draft report on 'PSNI: Use of Agency Staff'.

Paragraphs 1 – 7 read and agreed.
Paragraph 8 read, amended and agreed.
Paragraphs 9 – 10 read and agreed.

3:20 pm Mr McQuillan entered the meeting.

Recommendation 1 read, amended and agreed.
Paragraph 12 read, amended and agreed.
Insertion of a recommendation agreed.
Paragraph 13 read, amended and agreed.
Paragraph 14 read and agreed.
Recommendation 2 read and agreed.
Paragraph 16 read and agreed.
Paragraphs 17 – 18 read, amended and agreed.

3:47 pm Mr Dallat left the meeting.

Recommendation 3 read, amended and agreed.

3:52 pm Mr Dallat entered the meeting.

Paragraphs 20 – 21 read, amended and agreed.

3:57 pm Mr Girvan left the meeting.

Paragraphs 22 – 23 read and agreed.

4:00 pm Mr Girvan entered the meeting.

Paragraph 24 read, amended and agreed.
Paragraph 25 read and agreed.

4:07 pm Mr Rogers left the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer consideration of paragraph 26 until 8 May 2013.
Insertion of a recommendation agreed.

4:10 pm Mr Rogers entered the meeting.

Paragraphs 27 – 32 read and agreed.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer consideration of paragraph 33 until 8 May 2013.
Insertion of a recommendation agreed.

Recommendation 4 read and agreed.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to give further consideration to the remainder of the report at its meeting on 8 May 2013.

7. Any other business

There was no other business.

8. Date, time and place of next meeting

The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, 8 May 2013 at 2:00 pm in Room 29, Parliament Buildings.
The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 4:25 pm.

Ms Michaela Boyle
Chairperson, Public Accounts Committee
8 May 2013

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us