Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 12 September 2012

Venue: Room 30

The meeting opened in public session at 2.05 p.m.

Apologies

None.

1. Chairperson’s Business

Committee Membership

The Chairperson welcomed Miss Megan Fearon and Ms Bronwyn McGahan as new Members of the Committee. The Chairperson thanked Mr Francie Molloy and Ms Caitríona Ruane for their work on the Committee. The Committee noted the new Members declaration of interests.

Press Release – Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse Bill

Agreed: The Committee agreed a press release providing further information on the Committee’s work on the Inquiry into historical Institutional Bill.

Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse Bill

The Committee considered a late submission from Napier & Sons Solicitors on behalf of the De La Salle Order to the Committee’s consideration on the Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse Bill.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to accept the late submission as evidence and invite the De La Salle Order to give oral evidence at next week’s meeting, if they are available to attend.

2. Draft minutes of the meeting held on 5 September 2012

Agreed: The draft minutes of proceedings of 5 September 2012 was agreed by the Committee.

3. Matters Arising

Child Poverty Alliance

The Committee noted a response from the Department providing comments in relation to issues raised by the Child Poverty Alliance during its briefing on 20 June 2012.

List of Outstanding Issues

The Committee considered the list of outstanding issues.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek an update on the progress of appointing a new Chair and Chief Executive for Ilex.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting a written update on the progress at the Shackleton site.

4. Correspondence

Committee for Finance and Personnel

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel advising that the Special EU Programmes Body (SEUPB) has begun the process of developing the post 2013 Cross Border PEACE and INTERREG programmes and that SEUPB are consulting on the content, implementation and delivery mechanisms for the new programmes.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk would liaise with the Clerk of the Committee for Finance and Personnel on its work in relation to the consultation.

5. The Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse Bill   

Amnesty International joined the meeting at 2.17p.m.

Mr Kinahan left the meeting at 2.30 p.m.

Mr Clarke joined the meeting at 2.32 p.m.

Mr Patrick Corrigan from Amnesty International briefed the Committee on its response to the Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse Bill. A question and answer session followed.

Amnesty International left the meeting at 2.45 p.m.

Representatives from Victim Support, the Nexus Institute and Contact/Lifeline joined the meeting at 2.46 p.m.

Mrs Susan Reid from Victim Support, Mrs Pam Hunter from the Nexus Institute and Mr Fergus Cumiskey from Contact/Lifeline briefed the Committee on its response to the Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse Bill. A question and answer session followed.

Representatives from Victim Support, the Nexus Institute and Contact/Lifeline left the meeting at 3.18 p.m.

Mr Ciaran McAteer joined the meeting at 3.26 p.m.

Mr Ciaran McAteer from Ciaran McAteer & Co. Solicitors briefed the Committee on its response to the Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse Bill. A question and answer session followed.

Mr Ciaran McAteer left the meeting at 3.53 p.m.

Mr Eastwood left the meeting at 3.53 p.m.

Mr Buchanan left the meeting at 3.53 p.m.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to see further information on its intentions in relation to non-institutional abuse.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request that it responds to the issues raised in the written submissions and oral evidence from in today’s witnesses on the Bill. The Committee also agreed to seek clarification on whether fostering and adoption would come within the scope of the Bill.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek further clarification on the option of an interim report into redress. The Committee also agreed to write to ask if the estimated cost of the Inquiry, stated at paragraph 19 of the Explanatory and Financial Memorandum to be £7.5-£9 million, remains an accurate estimate of the costs of the Inquiry.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite the Chair of the Panel to brief the Committee at its meeting on 26 September 2012, the Committee agreed to share all submissions it has received on the Bill with the Chair of the Panel.

6. Programme for Government Delivery Plans  

Departmental officials joined the meeting at 3.56.m.

Mr Humphrey left the meeting at 3.57 p.m.

Mr Clarke left the meeting at 4.40p.m.

Departmental officials Dr Denis McMahon, Ms Maggie Smyth, Mr Henry Johnston and Mrs Linsey Farrell briefed the Committee the Programme for Government Delivery Plans. A question and answer session followed.

Departmental officials left the meeting at 4.44 p.m.

7. Any Other Business

Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

8. Date, time and place of next meeting

The next meeting will be held in Room 30, Parliament Buildings on Wednesday 19 September 2012 at 2 p.m.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 4.46 p.m.

Temporary Chairperson,
Committee for the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister

 

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us