Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 29 May 2013

Venue: Senate Chamber, Parliament Buildings

The meeting commenced at 2.05 p.m. in public session.

1. Apologies

No apologies were received.

2. Chair’s Business

The Committee agreed a motion on the need for an integrated endometriosis service.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding the availability of the Meningitis B Vaccine.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding Employment Support Allowance.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding suicide prevention.

3. Draft minutes of the meeting on Wednesday 22nd May 2013.

The minutes of the Committee meeting on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 were agreed.

4. Tobacco Retailers Bill. Evidence session with with Northern Ireland Independent Retailer Trade Association and Northern Ireland Retail Consortium

The Committee took evidence from:

Mr Glyn Roberts Chief Executive, Northern Ireland Independent Retail Trade Association

Mr Aodhán Connolly Director, Northern Ireland Retail Consortium

A question and answer session ensued. The witnesses agreed to provide further information.

2.17 p.m. Mr Jim Wells joined the meeting.

2.27 p.m. Mr Jim Wells left the meeting.

Mr Roy Beggs made a Declaration of Interest that his father is a local councillor.

Mr Gordon Dunne made a Declaration of Interest that he is a local councillor. 

Mr Kieran McCarthy made a Declaration of Interest that he is a local councillor.

Ms Pam Brown made a Declaration of Interest that she is a local councillor.

Ms Paula Bradley made a Declaration of Interest that she is a local councillor.

3.02 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley left the meeting. 

The Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending.

5. Evidence session on June monitoring, 2012/2013 provisional outturn &  PEDU report.

The Committee took evidence from:

Ms Julie Thompson Deputy Secretary, Resource & Performance Management Directorate, DHSSPS

Ms Catherine Daly Deputy Secretary, Healthcare Policy Group, DHSSPS

Dr Bernie Stuart Investment Director, DHSSPS

A question and answer session ensued.

3.11 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley rejoined the meeting.

3.25 p.m. Ms Pam Brown left the meeting.

Mr Conall McDevitt made a Declaration of Interest that he is a member of the Policing Board.

3.32 p.m. Mr Jim Wells rejoined the meeting.

3.42 p.m. Mr Conall McDevitt left the meeting.

3.51 p.m. Mr Conall McDevitt rejoined the meeting.

3.58 p.m. Ms Maeve McLaughlin left the meeting. 

The witnesses agreed to provide the Committee with further information. The Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending.

The Committee agreed to write to the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister regarding the PEDU report.

4.10 p.m. Ms Sue Ramsey left the meeting.

4.10 p.m. Mr Jim Wells took the Chair.

4.10 p.m. Mr Conall McDevitt left the meeting. 

6. Legislative Consent Memorandum – UK Care Bill

The Committee agreed that it was content with the legislative consent motion on the Care Bill.

7. Proposed Statutory Rule. The Council of the Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland (Continuing Professional Development) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013

The Committee noted a response from the Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland stating that it was content with the proposed statutory rule.

The Committee considered the Council of the Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland (Continuing Professional Development) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013 and agreed that it was content for the Department to prepare the statutory rule.

8. Matters rising

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding funding released by delays in the A5 project.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding Post Project Evaluations.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding the commissioning of a Surgical Podiatry Service and a letter from Mr Henderson on this matter. The Committee agreed to forward the Minister’s response to Mr Henderson.

The Committee noted a response from the Southern Health and Social Care Trust regarding the implementation of Transforming Your Care.

9. Report on informal meeting, Wednesday 15 May 2013

The Committee noted a report on informal meetings held with healthcare related groups on 15 May 2013.

The Committee agreed to forward a briefing paper from Alere Health to the Department, Health & Social Care Board, Local Commissioning Groups and BMA seeking their views on the issues raised.

The Committee agreed to forward a briefing paper from the Association for Infant Mental Health to the Department, Health & Social Care Board, Public Health Agency, the Northern Ireland Commissioner for Children & Young People and the Safeguarding Board for Northern Ireland seeking their views on the issues raised.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding the resettlement of patients from Muckamore Abbey.

10. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister regarding the new Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Strategy.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel regarding Post Project Evaluations.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Public Accounts Committee regarding Patient Safety Reports.

The Committee noted a Transforming Your Care update.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Northern Ireland Commissioner for Children & Young People.

The Committee noted correspondence from the British Dental Association regarding health service dental care.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Skeagh House Action Committee regarding the closure of statutory residential homes.

The Committee noted correspondence from Ms Corkey Thompson regarding the closure of statutory residential homes and agreed to refer Ms Thompson to the official report of its meeting on 1 May 2013.

The Committee noted correspondence from the British Heart Foundation seeking a meeting with the Committee and agreed to invite the organisation to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence from Bowel Cancer UK seeking a meeting with the Committee and agreed to invite the organisation to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence from FOLD.

The Committee noted correspondence from Queens University Belfast regarding the Queens Autism Research Treatment Forum Annual Conference.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Big Lottery Fund.

The Committee noted correspondence from Mr McCullagh regarding Children’s Heart Surgery.

The Committee noted correspondence from Action on Hearing Loss seeking a meeting with the Committee and agreed to invite the organisation to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence regarding the South West Acute Hospital.

11. Forward Work Programme.

The Committee noted its Forward Work Programme.

12. Any other Business.

No other business was discussed.

13. Date, time and place of next meeting.

The next Committee meeting will be on Wednesday 5th June 2013 at 2.00 pm in room 29, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 4.17 p.m.

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us