Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 14 December 2011

Venue: Senate Chamber, Parliament Buildings

 The meeting commenced at 1.32 p.m. in public session.

1.  Apologies

Apologies as above.

2. Evidence session on the outcome of the Review of Health & Social Care

The Committee took evidence from:

Mr Edwin Poots  - Minister for Health, Social Services & Public Safety

Dr Andrew McCormick - Permanent Secretary, DHSSPS

Mr John Compton - Chief Executive, Health & Social Care Board

1.34 p.m. Mr John McCallister joined the meeting.

1.59 p.m. Mr Mark H Durkan joined the meeting.

2.23 p.m. Mr John McCallister left the meeting.

2.57 p.m. Mr Sam Gardiner left the meeting.

2.58 p.m. Mrs Pam Lewis left the meeting.

A question and answer session ensued. The Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending. The Committee agreed to hold a further evidence session on the Review of Health & Social Care in the new year.

3. Chair’s Business

The Chairperson reminded members that the Committee would be taking evidence from officials on the Lissue and Forster Green issue following Christmas recess. The Committee agreed to request a briefing paper for the evidence session.

2.59 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne left the meeting.

3.00 p.m. Mrs Pam Lewis rejoined the meeting.

4. Draft minutes of the meeting on Wednesday 7th December 2011

The minutes of the Committee meeting on Wednesday 7th December were agreed.

3.01 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley left the meeting.

5. Draft minutes of the Sub committee meeting on Wednesday 7th December 2011

The minutes of the Sub committee meeting on Wednesday 7th December 2011were agreed.

6. Matters arising.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding clinical excellence awards and agreed to write to the Department again regarding this matter.

3.05 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne rejoined the meeting.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding the prompt payment of invoices.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister about official representation on the Ministerial Group on Public Health and agreed to write to the Committee for Regional Development and the Committee for Justice about this matter.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding details of the implementation and monitoring arrangements for the ‘Quality 2020’ strategy.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding Trade Union representation on the working group on the Dental Hospital Inquiry.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding the development of an intermediate care facility for people with dementia and agreed to write to Professor Passmore about this matter.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding the General Dental Service budget.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding pharmacies in rural & socially deprived areas and agreed to hold an evidence session on community pharmacy at its next meeting.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding the Card Before You Leave scheme and agreed to write to the Minister supporting the scheme.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding proposed legislation and agreed to write to the Department for further clarification.

The Committee noted a response from the Department regarding the Sunbeds (Fixed Penalty) Regulations (NI) 2011 and agreed that it was content for the Department to prepare two Statutory Rules in line with the advice given by the Examiner of Statutory Rules.

7. Evidence session on the draft Programme for Government

The Committee took evidence from:

Dr Andrew McCormick - Permanent Secretary, DHSSPS

Dr Michael McBride - Chief Medical Officer, DHSSPS

Ms Julie Thompson - Deputy Secretary, Resources & Performance Management, DHSSPS

Mr Fergal Bradley  - Senior Principal, Planning & Performance Management, DHSSPS

3.19 p.m. Mr John McCallister rejoined the meeting.

3.22 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley rejoined the meeting.

3.26 p.m. Mr Kieran McCarthy left the meeting.

3.51 p.m. Mrs Pam Lewis left the meeting.

3.53 p.m. Mr Jim Wells left the meeting.

3.57 p.m. Mr Mark H Durkan left the meeting.

4.02 p.m. Mrs Pam Lewis rejoined the meeting.

4.07 p.m. Mr Mark H Durkan rejoined the meeting.

4.10 p.m. Mr Jim Wells rejoined the meeting.

A question and answer session ensued. The Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending. The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding the draft Commissioning Direction.

8. Statutory Rule: The Protection from Tobacco (Sales from Vending                     Machines) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011

The Committee considered the Protection from Tobacco (Sales from Vending             Machines) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011 and recommended that the Statutory Rule is affirmed by the Assembly subject to the Examiner of Statutory Rules being content with the technical aspects of the Rule.

9. Forward Work Programme

The Committee agreed to discuss its Forward Work Programme at its next meeting.

10. Correspondence

The Committee noted a letter from the Speaker about a Public Petition regarding community pharmacies.

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding the draft Framework for Preventing and Addressing Overweight and Obesity in Northern Ireland 2012-2022 and agreed to establish whether the “A Fitter Future for All” report is available to the Committee.

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding the launch of a consultation on a UK Plan for Rare Diseases.

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding the cross departmental Autism Strategy.

The Committee noted a letter from the Chief Medical Officer regarding his Annual Report.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister regarding the Children and Young People’s Strategy Outcomes Model.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Education regarding the administration of medication to pupils and agreed to forward the letter to the Department.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development regarding the Reservoir Bill.

The Committee noted a letter from a group of service users at Annsgate, Resource Centre and agreed to refer the correspondents to their constituency representatives.

The Committee noted a letter from Playboard regarding their briefing paper ‘Making connections through play’.

The Committee noted a letter from Healthy Cities Belfast regarding their Annual General Meeting.

The Committee noted a letter from the Patient and Client Council regarding their report ‘Peoples Priorities 2011’.

11. Evidence session on the January Monitoring Round

The Committee took evidence from:

Ms Julie Thompson - Deputy Secretary, Resources and Performance Management, DHSSPS

Mr Peter Toogood - Director of Finance, DHSSPS

4.37 p.m. Mr John McCallister left the meeting.

4.37 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne left the meeting.

4.37 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley left the meeting.

4.42 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne rejoined the meeting.

4.53 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley rejoined the meeting.

A question and answer session ensued. The Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending.

12. Any Other Business

No other business was discussed.

13. Date, time and place of next meeting

The next Committee meeting will be on Wednesday 11th January 2012 at 2.00pm in the Senate Chamber, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 5.03 p.m.

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us