Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 13 March 2013

Venue: Room 29, Parliament Buildings

The meeting commenced at 2.05 p.m. in public session.

1. Apologies

Apologies as above.

2. Chair's Business.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding the price of generic drugs.
The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding the prevention of childhood accidents in the home.
2.07 p.m. Mr Conall McDevitt joined the meeting.
The Committee agreed to participate in a workshop on effective scrutiny and questioning following its meeting on Wednesday 24 April. Members noted that the Committee meeting would run from 1pm - 2pm on that date to accommodate the workshop.
The Committee agreed to take evidence from officials on the proposed Tobacco Retailers Bill at its next meeting.
2.09 p.m. Ms Pam Brown joined the meeting.

3. Draft minutes of the meeting on Wednesday 27th February 2013.

The minutes of the Committee meeting on Wednesday 27th February 2013 were agreed.

4. Evidence session with Departmental officials on the Commissioning Plan 2013/2014.

The Committee took evidence from:
Dr Andrew McCormick Permanent Secretary, DHSSPS
Ms Catherine Daly Deputy Secretary, DHSSPS
Mr John Compton Chief Executive, Health & Social Care Board
Mr Dean Sullivan Director of Commissioning, Health & Social Care Board
2.18 p.m. Mr Kieran McCarthy joined the meeting.
A question and answer session ensued.
Mr Conall McDevitt made a Declaration of Interest that he is the parent of a child with type 1 diabetes.
Mr Roy Beggs made a Declaration of Interest that he is a Director of the Carrickfergus Community Drug & Alcohol Advisory Group and a Committee Member of Horizon Sure Start (Carrickfergus and Larne).
3.16 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne joined the meeting.
3.28 p.m. Mr Conall McDevitt left the meeting.
3.33 p.m. Mr Conall McDevitt rejoined the meeting.
The witnesses agreed to provide the Committee with additional information. The Chairperson thanked the witness for attending.
4.00 p.m. The meeting moved to Private Session.

5. Consideration of evidence taken on the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service.

The Committee agreed to withdraw an invitation to Mr John Boyle to give evidence to it.
The Committee agreed to invite the former Director of Finance of the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service, Mr Terry McGonigal to give evidence to it at its next meeting.
4.12 p.m. Mr Sam Gardiner left the meeting.
4.15 p.m. Meeting adjourned.
4.28 p.m. Meeting resumed in Public Session.

6. Evidence session with Departmental officials on the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service.

The Committee took evidence from:
Dr Andrew McCormick Permanent Secretary, DHSSPS
Mr Colin Evans Head of Internal Audit, DHSSPS
Ms Julie Thompson Deputy Secretary, Resources & Performance Management, DHSSPS
A question and answer session ensued.
5.10 p.m. Mr Conall McDevitt left the meeting.
5.29 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley left the meeting.
5.38 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley rejoined the meeting.
5.45 p.m. Ms Pam Brown left the meeting.
5.48 p.m. Ms Pam Brown rejoined the meeting.
The Chairperson thanked the witness for attending. The witnesses agreed to provide the Committee with additional information.
The Committee agreed to invite the Chief Executive of the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service, Mr Jim Wallace to give evidence to it at its next meeting.

7. Proposed Statutory Rule. The Firefighters' Pension Scheme (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2013.

The Committee considered the Firefighters' Pension Scheme (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2013 and agreed that it was content for the Department to prepare the statutory rule.

8. Proposed Statutory Rule. The New Firefighters' Pension Scheme (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2013.

The Committee considered the New Firefighters' Pension Scheme (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2013 and agreed that it was content for the Department to prepare the statutory rule.

9. Proposed Statutory Rule. The Recovery of Health Services Charges (Amounts) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013.

The Committee considered the Recovery of Health Services Charges (Amounts) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013 and agreed that it was content for the Department to prepare the statutory rule.

10. Proposed Statutory Rule. The Health and Personal Services (Superannuation), Health and Social Care (Pension Scheme) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013.

The Committee considered the Health and Personal Services (Superannuation), Health and Social Care (Pension Scheme) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013 and agreed that it was content for the Department to prepare the statutory rule.

11. Forward Work Programme.

The Committee noted its Forward Work Programme.

12. Matters rising.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding Emergency Department Services in Belfast.
The Committee noted a response from the Health & Social Care Board regarding the Accident & Emergency Improvement Action Group.
The Committee noted a response from the Food Standards Agency and the Department for Agriculture and Rural Development regarding horsemeat contamination.

13. Report on informal Committee meeting, 27 February 2013.

The Committee noted a report on the informal meeting held on Wednesday 27 February 2013 and agreed to write to the Department regarding matters raised by Willowbank Ltd.

14. Correspondence

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding the Children's Hearing Order.
The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding Termination of Pregnancy guidance.
The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding a consultation on the draft Pharmacy Order.
The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding a consultation on a review of Housing Adaptations Services.
The Committee noted the Department for Health, Social Services Investment Strategy for Northern Ireland Investing Activity Report February 2013.
The Committee agreed to accept an invitation from the Northern Health and Social Care Trust to visit the Rowan Sexual Assault Referral Centre.
The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Regional Development regarding its Inquiry into the Better Use of Public and Community Sector Funds for the Delivery of Bus Transport Options.
The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel regarding Post Project Evaluations and agreed to write to the Department for further information.
The Committee agreed to invite the Northern Ireland Commissioner for Children & Young People to an informal meeting.
The Committee agreed to invite Kaleidoscope NI to an informal meeting.
The Committee noted a letter from the BMA NI regarding a General Practice pilot scheme to deliver Ear Nose & Throat services and agreed to take evidence on this matter.
The Committee noted a letter from Prime Care Services regarding changes to the procurement of domiciliary care and agreed to write to the Health & Social Care Board.
The Committee noted a letter from the National Autistic Society Northern Ireland regarding a consultation on the Autism Strategy and agreed a response.
The Committee noted a funding update from the Big Lottery Fund.
The Committee noted correspondence from the Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists regarding the Woodlands Language Unit.
The Committee agreed to accept an invitation to visit Willowbank Community Resource Centre in Dungannon.
The Committee noted an invitation from Belfast Healthy Cities to a Leadership and Governance for Health lecture.
The Committee agreed to accept an invitation from Action Mental Health to hold a Committee meeting in one of its premises.
The Committee noted correspondence from Food and Behaviour Research.
The Committee noted correspondence from Sustrans.
The Committee noted correspondence from Ms J Clifford regarding Paediatric Cardiac Surgery and agreed a response.
The Committee noted correspondence from JJ and I Baugh regarding Children's Cardiac Surgery.
6.10 p.m. Mr Roy Beggs left the meeting.
The Committee noted correspondence from Mr Martin McGinley and agreed to write to the Department for further information.
The Committee noted correspondence from Dr Magowan regarding GP Health checks.
The Committee noted correspondence from Ms Marmion regarding Down's Syndrome Screening and agreed to forward this to the Department for a response.
6.12 p.m. Ms Pam Brown left the meeting.
The Committee noted correspondence regarding a personal case and agreed to refer the correspondent to the Patient Client Council for support.
The Committee noted correspondence from Ms McCrossan regarding drug treatments for Cystic Fibrosis patients and agreed to forward this to the Department for a response.
The Committee noted correspondence from Mr McAndrew regarding Craigavon Area Hospital and agreed to forward this to the Department for information.
The Committee noted correspondence from Mr Ian Houston regarding the Late Payment Directive.
The Committee noted correspondence from Ms Doreen Patton regarding Emergency Department services and agreed to forward this to the Department for comment.
The Committee noted correspondence from Ms Mathews regarding Health Inequalities.

15. Any other Business.

Mr McCarthy raised the issue of wheelchair provision and maintenance and agreed to send the Committee further information.

16. Date, time and place of next meeting.

The next Committee meeting will be on Wednesday 20th March 2013 at 9.30 am in room 144, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 6.19 p.m.

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us