Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 19 April 2012

Venue: Senate Chamber, Parliament Buildings

The meeting began in public session at 10:05am

1.       Apologies

There were no apologies.

2.       Matters arising 

The Chairperson informed members that they had been provided with a Ministerial letter regarding the Local Government (Boundaries) Order.

Agreed: That a letter is sent to the Department asking for a Departmental briefing on the Order.

Agreed: That a letter is sent to Newry & Mourne District Council and Down District Council asking for a written briefing on this issue.

Mr Weir joined the meeting at 10:10am.

The Chairperson informed members that they had been provided with an Assembly Research Paper on National Parks.

Agreed: That the National Parks stakeholder event at the Balmoral Show will focus on the impacts on environment, leisure/tourism/economy, transport and agriculture.

The Chairperson informed members that they had been provided with a Ministerial letter regarding the timetable for the implementation of the Taxis Act.

Agreed: That a letter is sent to the Department asking for a Departmental briefing on the implementation of the Taxis Act.

Agreed: That a meeting is set up with a representative from a small, rural taxi operator.

The Chairperson informed members that they had been provided with copies of replies to Committee queries on the SL1 on The Goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) (Exemptions) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012.

Agreed: That the response from the agriculture sector is emailed to members and a decision reached by correspondence.

Mr McGlone joined the meeting at 10:18am.

3.       Assembly Research briefing on Marine Bill

An Assembly Researcher briefed the Committee and answered members’ questions on the Marine Bill.

Mr Boylan joined the meeting at 10:24am.

The main area of discussion was a comparison of the Bill with marine legislation in England, Scotland and Wales.

4.      Departmental briefing on Marine Bill

Departmental Officials briefed the Committee and answered members’ questions on the Marine Bill.

The main areas of discussion were Marine Planning, Marine Protection, Marine Licensing and the individual clauses within each of these areas.

Mr Hamilton left the meeting at 11:22am.

Agreed: That a letter is sent to the Department to ask for more information on the existing legislative capacity to deal with historical sites in Northern Ireland’s inshore region and the possibility of introducing time limits in relation to paragraph 13 of schedule 1.

Mr Hamilton re-joined the meeting at 11:44am.

5.      Ministerial briefing on Local Government Reform and Rose Energy planning application.

The Minister of the Environment briefed the Committee and answered members’ questions on Local Government Reform and the Rose Energy planning application.

The main areas of discussion were the structures and resources in relation to Local Government Reform.  There were also discussions in connection with the current position of the Rose Energy planning application.

Mr Dallat left the meeting at 12:18pm.

Mr Dallat re-joined the meeting at 12:32pm.

Mr Campbell left the meeting at 12:58pm.

Lord Morrow left the meeting at 1:06pm.

Mr McGlone left the meeting at 1:12pm.

Mr Weir left the meeting at 1:20pm.

Agreed: That a letter is sent to the Department to ask for copies of the responses to the consultation on the Rose Energy planning application.

Agreed: That a copy of the note of the Chairperson’s meeting with NILGA is forwarded to the Department for comment.

Agreed: That a letter is sent to the Department to ask for a written response on the rationale behind the decision to give councils the power of wellbeing rather than the power of competence.  Also ask how the Department will address the Committee’s concern around the lack of political representation on transition committees and how it intends to deal with the issue of funding for Local Government Reform.

6.      Any other business

7.      Date, time and place of next meeting

The next meeting will be held on Thursday 3 May 2012 at 10.00am in the Senate Chamber, Parliament Buildings.

The meeting went into closed session at 1:33pm.   

8.       Ministerial briefing on Strangford Lough

The Minister briefed the Committee on Strangford Lough.

Mr Weir re-joined the meeting at 1:40pm.

Agreed: That a letter is sent to the Department asking for further Departmental briefing on Strangford Lough after 22 May 2012.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1:43pm.

The meeting reconvened in Room 144 in closed session at 1:48pm.

The following members were present: Ms Anna Lo MBE (Chairperson), Mr Simon Hamilton (Deputy Chairperson), Mr Cathal Boylan, Mr John Dallat, Mr Danny Kinahan and Mr Francie Molloy.

9.      Draft Committee report into used tyre disposal

Members formally considered the final draft of the Committee Report into Used Tyre Disposal.

The Chairperson declared the meeting open to the public at 2:33pm.

Agreed: That the recommendations stand part of the Report.

Agreed: That the Introduction stand part of the Report.

Agreed: That the Context of the Inquiry stand part of the Report.

Agreed: That the Consideration of Evidence stand part of the Report.

Agreed: That Appendix 1 – Minutes of Proceedings stand part of the Report.

Agreed: That Appendix 2 – Minutes of Evidence stand part of the Report.

Agreed: That Appendix 3 – Written Submissions stand part of the Report.

Agreed: That Appendix 4 – List of Witnesses stand part of the Report.

Agreed: That Appendix 5 – Research papers stand part of the Report.

Agreed: That Appendix 6 – Other Papers submitted to the Committee stand part of the Report.

Agreed: That Appendix 7 – Key Sectoral Issues stand part of the Report.

Agreed: That the relevant extract from the minutes of today’s meeting stand part of the Report.

Agreed: That the Report is printed and submitted to the Business Office.

Agreed: That the Committee motion on the Report is laid with the Business Office.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 2:36pm

Anna Lo, MLA
Chairperson, Committee for the Environment
03 May 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us