Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 28 February 2013

Venue: Room 30

The meeting began at 10.05am in public session.

1. Apologies

Apologies are detailed above.

2. Chairperson’s Business

Members considered a request from the Board of the Ulster Federation of Credit Unions to meet with the Chair.

Agreed: for the Chair and Deputy Chair to meet with the Board.

Members considered the invitation list and invitation to the working breakfast to be held on the 14 March.

Agreed: to issue the invitation to those identified on the invitation list and to contact Derry City Council to identify further invitees.

Members considered an invitation received by the Chair and Deputy Chair to the graduation of Software Testers’ Academy on the 6 March.

Members noted the Health & Safety Executive NI intention to issue a consultation on proposals for the Biocidal Products and Chemicals (Appointment of authorities and authorities and Enforcement) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013.

Agreed: to consider the proposal following the consultation.

Members noted a meeting with the Institute of Directors on the 29 April.

Agreed: to contact the Committee Office if attending.

3. Minutes of meeting held on Thursday 14 February 2013.

Members considered the draft minutes of the 14 February 2013.

Minutes were agreed.

4. Matters Arising

Members considered a proposal for the Minister to attend the meeting on 7 March.

Agreed: to receive a briefing from the Minister on 7 March

Members considered a list of key issues to discuss with the Minister.

Agreed: to forward the list of key issues to the Department.

Agreed: to begin the meeting on 7 March at 10.30am.

Members noted a response from DoE to the Committee for the Environment regarding Enterprise Zones.

Members noted the booklet provided by HSENI on statistics from 2011-2012.

Members considered a response from the Department on the issue of gazumping in house buying.

Agreed: to forward the response to the Committee for Finance and Personnel.

Members noted a response from the Department on assistance to Belfast following flag protests.

Members noted a response from the Department regarding infraction proceedings against the UK and what proportion of any fine, if imposed, would be borne by the Executive.

Members noted an update from the Department on ERDF Funding for Invest NI supported projects.

Members considererd a response from the Department to the reduction of bed space capacity for events.

Agreed: to receive clarification regarding the issue of whether or not an        exemption under the Tourism Order will include a rent a room scheme.

Members noted a response from the Department to Magherafelt District Council regarding the Renewable Heating Incentive.

Members considered a response from BT with regards to vandalism and graffiti.

Agreed: to write to BT to encourage further incentives to tackle this issue.

Members considered an invitation from the Committee for Finance & Personnel to DETI officials from to its next meeting to discuss the issue of the £18m of European funding originally earmarked for the Titanic Signature Project.

Agreed: to forward the invitation to the Department.

5. Update on Regional Aid: - Oral Briefing from DETI

Officials joined the meeting at 10.30am

Paul Frew joined the meeting at 10.30am

Members received an oral briefing from David Sterling, DETI Permanent Secretary, Fiona McCausland, Principal, DETI Business Development Unit, Stephen Moore, Deputy Principal, DETI European Support Unit.

Key issues discussed included: Northern Ireland’s treatment in the next round of Regional Aid post 2013, the work of the Department for Business Innovation and Skills, Northern Ireland’s automatic 100% Assisted Area status and the Committee’s visit to Brussels in April 2013.

Agreed: to forward the response on the views of the Executive’s Draft EU Priorities to the Committee for the Office of the First Minister and the Deputy First Minister.

Agreed: For the Permanent Secretary to consider if there are any areas which the Department would like the Committee to engage on during a visit to Brussels in April.

6. Impact of the Flags Issue on Licensed Retail Trade: Oral Briefing from Pubs of Ulster

Representatives joined the meeting at: 11.06am

Members received an oral briefing from Colin Neill, Chief Executive, Pubs of Ulster and Glynn Roberts, Chief Executive, Northern Ireland Independent Retail Trade Association.

Key issues discussed included: the impact of the flag protests on the Belfast City Centre economy and the Backin’ Belfast campaign.

Stephen Moutray left the meeting at 12.26pm

Gordon Dunne left the meeting at 12.30pm

7. Subordinate Legislation: SR: Subordinate Legislation SR: 2013/24 The Gas (Applications for Licences and Extensions) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013

Members considered the following subordinate legislation:-

Agreed: the Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment has considered and, subject to the report of the Examiner of Statutory Rules, has no objection to the rule.

8. Payday Loans Stakeholder Event Written Briefing from Assembly Research

Members considered the paper from the Assembly Research.

Agreed: to forward the paper to the Department, the Financial Services Authority and the organisations which took part in the event.

9. Enterprise Zones Written Briefing from Assembly Research

Members considered the paper from Assembly Research.

Agreed: to forward the paper to the Public Accounts Committee.

10. Horizon 2020 Actin Plan 2013: Written Briefings from DETI

Members considered the Action Plan and a response from the Department on Horizon 2020 call for experts.

Agreed: to receive an update on the £1.8m DEL/DETI Higher Education EU Support Fund.

11. Tourism Event Funding Programme 2013/14: Written Briefing from DETI

Members considered the written briefing, an overview of funding awarded to national and international events and a response from the Department on the query regarding total number of visitors.

Agreed: to receive further information from the Department on the December issue of the Trips by NI Residents results for the period January-September 2012.

Agreed: to receive clarification from the Department on whether the funding is ring-fenced or allocated as projects are successful.

Agreed: to receive clarification from the Department on the mechanism for scoring the projects.

12. Abolition of the Aircraft and Shipbuilding Industries Arbitration Tribunal and the Abolition of British Shipbuilders and Transfer of Liabilities to the Secretary of State of Business, Innovation and Skills.

Members noted two Assembly Consent Memoranda in respect of the UK draft Orders being made under the Public bodies Act (2011).

13. Correspondence

Members noted the following items of correspondence for action

i. From the Committee for Finance & Personnel regarding Department Savings Delivery Plans.

Agreed: to receive a briefing from the Department on the adverse impact on the delivery of frontline services which may result.

ii. From the Northern Ireland Committee of the Irish League of Credit Unions seeking a meeting regarding closure of Post Offices in rural areas.

Agreed: to receive a written briefing in the first instance.

iii. Committee for Finance & Personnel monitoring post project evaluations (PPEs) 31 December 2012.

Agreed: to receive details of the reasons for outstanding Post project Evaluations from the Department.

iv. Invitation from the Committee for OFMDFM and the Business Trust to an event with the Minister of State for European Affairs on Wednesday 5 March.

Agreed: members to contact the Committee Office if attending.

v. From Momentum, a copy of its manifesto and a request to brief the Committee.

Agreed: to arrange a date for Momentum to brief the Committee.

vi. From Lightsource information on solar energy providers.

Agreed: to receive a written briefing from Lightsource on its work.

Members noted the following items of correspondence

vii. From Department of Finance & Personnel the Outcome of 2012-13 January Monitoring Round and the Chancellor’s 2012 Autumn Statement.

viii. From the Department – the Review of Balance of Competences – Launch of Call for Evidence.

14. Any other business

Members considered the proposal for mobile phone operators to brief the Committee on G3 and G4.

Agreed: to commission research from Assembly Research on EU Member States which have abolished mobile phone roaming charges.

15. Date, time and place of next meeting       

The next meeting of the Committee will take place on 7 March at10.30am Room 30, Parliament Buildings

Sue Ramsey left the meeting at 12.44pm

The Committee went into closed session at 12.44pm

16. Presbyterian Mutual Society

Maeve McLaughlin left the meeting at 12.50pm

Members considered the Administrator’s report.

Agreed: to further consider the report prior to next week’s Committee meeting.

17. RIDDOR – Legal Services

Members considered legal advice from legal services.

Agreed: the SL1 to be included as a substantive item at the next meeting.

18. 3G/4G Mobile Access Project

Members considered the 3G/4G Mobile Access project.

Agreed: a copy will be retained by the Clerk for one week.

The Chair adjourned the meeting at 1.35pm

Mr Phil Flanagan
Deputy Chair, Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment
14 March 2013

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us