Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 20 June 2013

Venue: Room 30, Parliament Buildings

The meeting began at 10.10am in public session:

1. Apologies

Apologies are detailed above.

2. Chairperson's Business

Members considered a summary of the meeting between the Chair, Alban Maginness and representatives of NIIRTA and Pubs of Ulster.

Agreed: to receive a written briefing from NIIRTA and Pubs of Ulster outlining their concerns in detail.

Members considered a request from the Department to provide papers regarding UK Rep officials, which was considered at the Committee meeting last week.

Agreed: to forward the requested papers to the Department.

Members considered the policy consultation document for the Credit Unions and Industrial and Provident Societies Bill.

Agreed: to receive a summary of consultation responses and copies of all responses from the Department when available.

Members considered a request from a member of the public for copies of papers relating to the Mutual Energy briefing to the Committee on 31 January 2013 regarding the Moyle Interconnector.

Agreed: to forward the requested papers to the member of the public.

3. Minutes of meeting held on Thursday 13 June 2013.

Agreed: The draft minutes of the meeting on 13 June were agreed.

4. Matters Arising

Members considered a response from the Department regarding an application for funding for the Museum of Free Derry.

Agreed: to ask the Department if there has been any other correspondence on this matter, including internal correspondence and to receive same.

Agreed: to ask the Department when a decision may be reached on the application and to copy the Committee into any future correspondence on the matter.

Agreed: to ask the Department what further information has been sought and from whom.

Members considered a response from the Department to Committee queries regarding the local film and television industry.

Agreed: to ask the Department for information on actual jobs rather than job years if available.

Agreed: to ask the Department what mechanism is used to reach the job years figures.

Agreed: to ask the Department for a breakdown of what support has been provided and the size of the projects involved.

Members noted a response from the Department for Employment and Learning regarding third sector mapping.

Members noted a response from the Department of the Environment to Committee queries regarding the Best Practice Guide for PPS.

Members noted an information paper prepared by the Utility Regulator and the Department regarding security of electricity supply.

Members noted a response from Power NI to Committee queries regarding keypad meter customers and debt recovery.

Members noted information from Manufacturing NI regarding its evidence to the Committee on commercial electricity costs.

Members considered the possibility of launching a review into electricity pricing and security of supply.

Agreed: to launch a review into electricity pricing and security of supply.

Agreed: the Clerk to draft Terms of Reference for the review for presentation at next week's meeting.

Members considered a letter from the Department regarding Electricity Market Reform.

Agreed: to inform the Department that members are content to support the setting of a 2030 decarbonisation target for the power sector.

Members noted a response from the Department regarding Committee queries on the work of the Executive Sub Committee on the Economy.

Members noted a response from the Department regarding Committee queries on statistics released by the Central Statistics Office.

Members noted a response from the Department of the Environment regarding Committee queries on cross border economic renewal.

Members considered a letter from the Committee for Finance and Personnel regarding the Consumer Council Review.

Agreed: to forward the letter to the Department, the Reviewer and the Consumer Council.

Members considered a request from the Deputy Chair to receive a written briefing from the Department on the consultation responses to the Strategic Environmental Assessment of Petroleum Licensing in the Internal Waters (Belfast Lough and Larne Lough) when it is available.

Agreed: to ask the Department for a written briefing on the consultation responses when available.

Sandra Overend joined the meeting at 10.31am

5. Agri Food Strategy - Oral Briefing from Agri Food Strategy Board

Representatives joined the meeting at 10.32am

Members received an oral briefing from Tony O'Neill, Chair of the Agri Food Strategy Board, David Thompson, Head of Policy Group, DETI and Colette McMaster, Head of Food, Farm and Rural Development, DARD

Key issues discussed included: report recommendations, better regulations, financing, sustainability, innovation and skills and food security.

Stephen Moutray left the meeting at 10.52am

Agreed: to ask the Department for an update on progress to date by DETI and DARD on specific actions relating to the relevant recommendations in the Agri Food Strategy report.

Agreed: to ask the Department for a breakdown of where the £1.3 billion private sector funding will come from and what it will be used for.

Robin Newtown left the meeting at 11.24am

Agreed: to ask the Department for an update on what DETI and DARD are doing to prepare for Horizon 2020 including any collaborative projects.

Robin Newtown returned to the meeting at 11.26am

Representatives left the meeting at 11.32am

6. Regional Start Initiative - Oral Briefing from Enterprise NI

Representatives joined the meeting at 11.34am

Members received an oral briefing from Mr Alexander Smith, Chairman, Mr Gordon Gough, Chief Executive, Ms Melanie Christie-Boyle, Board member and CEO of Ballymena Business Centre and Mr Seamus O'Prey, Board member and CEO of ORTUS.

Key issues discussed included: Enterprise zones, neighbourhood renewal areas, research, innovation and development and new businesses.

Agreed: to ask the Department for clarification on how the £1,000 grant works in neighbourhood renewal areas for those receiving benefits.

Steven Agnew left the meeting at 11.54am

Robin Newtown left the meeting at 12.02pm

Agreed: to ask Enterprise NI for information on geographical breakdown and how long it takes for an application from start until funding is drawn down.

Representatives left the meeting at 12.31pm

7. Subordinate Legislation: SL1 Biocidal Products and Chemicals (Appointment of Authorities and Enforcement) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013 and Biocidal Products (Fees and Charges) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013

Members considered the above proposal for subordinate legislation from the Department.

Agreed: that the Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment has considered the Department's proposal for subordinate legislation under Biocidal Products and Chemicals (Appointment of Authorities and Enforcement) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013 and Biocidal Products (Fees and Charges) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013 and has no objection to the policy implications of the proposed legislation at this stage.

8. Development of Draft 2014-2020 ERDF Programme – Written briefing from DETI

Members considered a consultation paper for the Draft 2014-2020 ERDF Programme.

Agreed: to ask the Department to provide the Committee with a summary of consultation responses when it is completed.

9. Proposal for Legislative Consent Motion regarding Intellectual Property Bill– Written briefing from DETI

Members considered a letter from the Minister regarding her intention to take a Legislative Consent Motion through the Assembly to allow the Department to take on a new enforcement role for the offence of deliberate copying of a registered patent.

Agreed: to ask the Department for clarification in why the Undersecretary of State for BIS considers a Legislative Consent Motion unnecessary and the Department believes it necessary and for information on what the specific points of disagreement are.

10. Programme for Government 2011-2015 Quarter 4 Progress Report – Written briefing from DETI

Members considered a Programme for Government Progress Report.

Agreed: to ask the Department for specific details of output against targets using the units of measurement stipulated in each target.

11. Correspondence

Members noted the following items of correspondence for action

i. From CBI regarding its submission to Utility Regulator in relation to the Benchmarking Price Report.

Agreed: to ask CBI for an oral briefing on this issue.

Members noted the following items of correspondence

ii. From the Committee for the Office of the First Minister and deputy first Minister in relation to improving EU Communication and information.

iii. From the Consumer Council regarding Budget Energy price increase.

12. Any other business

There were no addition items of business.

13. Date, time and place of next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will take place on 27 June at 10.00 am Room 30 Parliament Buildings.

The Chair adjourned the meeting at 12.35pm

Mr Phil Flanagan
Deputy Chair
Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment
27 June 2013

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us