Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 16 June 2011

Venue: 21

1. Apologies

 The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meeting Held on 9 June 2011

The Committee agreed the minutes of 9 June 2011.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted that all of the correspondence agreed at last week’s meeting had been issued.

4. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted that the Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson met with the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure on Monday 13 June, regarding the Minister’s Written Ministerial Statement on the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The Committee agreed to defer discussion on the statement until after the briefings from the Department and the Irish Football Association.

5. Assembly Research and Information Service briefing on Sport NI

Dr Dan Hull spoke to his background briefing paper on Sport NI.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: Dr Hull agreed to provide a breakdown of the capital budget allocation required to deliver the Department’s ‘Sport Matters’ strategy.

6. DCAL and Sport NI Briefing regarding Stadia Development

The Committee noted the Department’s paper on stadia development.

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.49am:

Director of Sport, Museums and Recreation, Mr Mick Crory; 
Head of Sport, Mr Colin Watson; and 
Director of Participation and Facilities for Sport NI, Mr Nick Harkness.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr David Hilditch made a declaration that he is the Chairperson of Carrick Rangers Football Club; and is a member of the Irish Football Association.

A question and answer session followed.

The briefing concluded at 11.24am.

7. Irish Football Association briefing on Stadium Development

The Committee noted the Irish Football Association’s paper on stadium development.

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.26am:

President, Mr Jim Shaw; 
Chairman, Dr Leslie Caul; and 
Mr Patrick Nelson, Chief Executive.

The officials briefed the Committee.

The Chairperson made a declaration that she is a season ticket holder for Northern Ireland football games.

A question and answer session followed.

Ms Karen McKevitt left the meeting at 11.46am.

Ms Karen McKevitt rejoined the meeting at 11.48am.

The briefing concluded at 11.57am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department for clarification on the known risks associated with the delivery of the stadia development projects.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to keep a watching brief on the progress being made on the delivery of the national stadiums; and to wait until all the governing bodies have briefed the Committee before discussing next steps.

8. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted the Written Ministerial Statement on the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games; and the Department’s Press Release that Lisburn will host an Olympic qualifying event.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek their assessment on the economic benefits regarding local businesses securing Olympic contracts; how this compares to other regions; and clarification on funding issues.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a brief on the 2012 Olympics onto the Forward Work Programme.

9. Correspondence

The Committee noted the information from Volunteer Now regarding the nomination process for torch bearers for the 2012 Olympics; and the Department’s bursary scheme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to issue a press release to encourage individuals to nominate a torch bearer. A draft press release was agreed.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ask to be copied into any correspondence to the Library and Information Services Council (Northern Ireland) regarding their funding concerns.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a brief from the Rural Community Network onto the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the BBC Audience Council NI to seek assurances that a robust and inclusive process was followed when they obtained views to help form their response to the BBC Trust consultation; and to request a copy of that response.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk should respond to the query on the selection process for membership of Committees.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the North/South Language Body to seek assurances that action is being taken to bring their accounts up to date.

The Committee noted the invite to MAC’s MLA Art Exhibition in the Long Gallery on Tuesday 21 June.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for Health, Social Services and Public Safety regarding co-sponsorship of Libraries NI’s Health in Mind event in the Long Gallery on 10 October 2011.

10. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed the draft programme for its meeting at the Arts Council of Northern Ireland premises and visit to the new Lyric Theatre on Thursday 30 June.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that a representative from the Irish Language Arts sector should attend the informal networking session at the Arts Council on 30 June 2011.

11. Any Other Business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward a copy of the OFMDFM Committee’s letter regarding a review of Arm’s Length Bodies to the Department.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 23 June 2011 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.23pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
23 June 2011

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us