Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 09 June 2011

Venue: 21

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meeting Held on 2 June 2011

The Committee agreed the minutes of 2 June 2011.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted that all of the correspondence agreed at last week’s meeting had been issued.

The Committee agreed that it would not hold its meeting of 23 June 2011 in Aughabrack Community Hall because of diary commitments, but undertook to plan a future visit.

4. Assembly Research and Information Service briefing on North/South Language Body

The Committee noted the Assembly Research and Information Service briefing paper on the North/South Language Body.

The Committee agreed that research papers should be published on the Assembly’s web site and forwarded to the Department, unless otherwise agreed.

5. DCAL Briefing regarding Ulster Scots Academy Ministerial Advisory Group

The Committee noted the Department’s paper on the Ulster Scots Academy Ministerial Advisory Group.

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.47am:

Director of Culture, Mr Arthur Scott; and

Chairperson of the Ulster Scots Academy Ministerial Advisory Group, Mr Bill Smith.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Hilditch declared an interest as Chairperson of the Andrew Jackson Cottage project team.

The briefing concluded at 11.08am.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ascertain how much money has been spent on the Ulster Scots Academy to date.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to keep a watching brief on the progress of the Ministerial Advisory Group and Ulster Scots Academy.

6. Assembly Research and Information Service Briefing on Foras na Gaeilge

Dr Dan Hull spoke to his paper on a summary of proposed funding changes for the Irish language voluntary sector.

A question and answer session followed.

7. Briefing from Foras na Gaeilge regarding Consultation Process

The Committee noted the Department’s paper on the Foras na Gaeilge consultation.

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.23am:

Director of Culture, Mr Arthur Scott; and

Chief Executive of Foras na Gaeilge, Mr Ferdie Mac an Fhailigh.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 11.28am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 11.40am.

The briefing concluded at 11.51am.

Mr David Hilditch rejoined the meeting at 11.53am.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ascertain why Foras na Gaeilge’s consultation was not subject to an Equality Impact Assessment or a Regulatory Impact Assessment.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to invite the umbrella group representing the core-funded Irish language bodies to brief the Committee at the start of the new session.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to keep a watching brief on relevant legislation in the Republic of Ireland, and the implications for core-funded organisations.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted the invite from the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure to the annual open day of DCAL’s River Bush Salmon Research Station on 6 July 2011.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to notify the Committee Office of their intention to attend the open day.

The Committee noted the letter from the Committee for the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister, urging all Statutory Committees to write to their respective departments about their review into their Arm’s Length Bodies.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister to notify them of the work already undertaken in this area.

The Committee noted the invite from Ormeau Baths Gallery to host a Committee meeting in the new session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a trip to Ormeau Baths Gallery onto the Forward Work Programme, in conjunction with a visit to BBC Broadcasting House.

The Committee noted the letter from Down District Council on funding issues for the Elite facilities programme.

Agreed: Due to the existing demands on the Forward Work Programme, the Committee agreed to request a written brief from Down District Council.

The Committee noted the letter requesting advice on the reinstatement of an old townland name in the Eglinton area.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding the procedure for reinstating townland names.

The Committee noted the invite from the Alchemy Youth Theatre to its fundraising event on Friday 10 June 2011.

The Committee noted that invites had been issued to all members to attend the official opening of PRONI’s new premises on Wednesday 15 June.

The Committee noted that the Armagh Observatory Annual Report – Financial Year 2010/11 had been received by the Committee Office.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to ascertain the status of a second report undertaken in relation to the Northern Ireland Events Company.

9. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted the outcome of the Chairperson’s meeting with the Chief Executive of Libraries NI, held at the Central Library in Belfast on Friday 3 June.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to schedule a visit to the Central Library, Falls Road, Shankill Road libraries and the Grove Well Being Centre onto the Forward Work Programme.

The Committee noted that the Chairperson will attend an event on 23 June, hosted by the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure and the Minister of Enterprise, Trade and Investment, regarding the partnership between commerce and culture.

10. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider an outline programme for the meeting and visit to the Arts Council and Lyric Theatre at next week’s meeting.

11. Any Other Business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request clarification and an assessment on the progress of encouraging Olympic 2012 teams to train in Northern Ireland.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 16 June 2011 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.10pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
9 June 2011

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us