Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 08 March 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened at 10.37am.

1.         Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2.         Draft Minutes of Meetings held on 01 March 2012

The Committee agreed the minutes of 01 March 2012.

3.         Matters Arising          

The Committee noted the Minister’s correspondence regarding her reassessment of priorities and the subsequent impact on budget allocations.   

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the Minister’s response regarding the Olympic Torch Relay route onto Mr David Simpson MP.

4.         Assembly Research and Information Services briefing on Film Tax Credits.

The following official joined the meeting at 10.40am:

Dr Dan Hull, Assembly Researcher.

The official briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: Dr Hull agreed to provide to the Committee details of whether India and Nigeria offered tax relief schemes.

The official left the meeting at 10.50am.

5.         NI Screen briefing regarding the Committee Inquiry into Maximising the Potential of the Creative Industries in Northern Ireland

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.51am:

Chairman, Mr Rick Hill; and

Chief Executive, Mr Richard Williams.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee reports of the debate regarding extending tax credits to include high level television drama.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín made a declaration that he is involved in the Irish Language Broadcast Fund.  

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 11.07am.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 11.39am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.40am.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 11.40am.

6.         Joint Briefing from the Chair of W5 and Trustee of NMNI’s Board on Provision of a Science Centre.

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.43am:

Chair of W5, Trustee of NMNI and Member of NMNI Audit, General Purpose and Finance Committees, Dr Alastair Walker; and

Trustee of NMNI and Chair of NMNI Capital Development Project Committee and Finance Committee, Ms Linda Beers.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Oliver McMullan rejoined the meeting at 11.47am.

A question and answer session followed.

The officials left the meeting at 12.09pm.

7.         Briefing from Odyssey Trust Company on Provision of a Science Centre

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.10pm:

Chairman, Mr Brian Burke;

Vice Chair, Ms Orla Corr;

Chief Executive, Mr Robert Fitzpatrick; and

Financial Director and Company Secretary, Mr Tony Payne.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

The officials left the meeting at 12.55pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to outline the Committee’s concerns in relation to the proposed integration of W5 with the Odyssey Pavilion.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to outline its concerns regarding the budget reduction for National Museums Northern Ireland.

8.         Correspondence

The Committee noted the Minister’s letter to Mr Robin Swann MLA acknowledging the public petition on the exploitation of indigenous fish species.

The Committee noted Age NI’s response to the Draft Programme for Government 2011 – 2015.

The Committee noted the invite to Mencap’s Working Together for Change conference on 23 - 24 March 2012.

The Committee noted the Minister’s letter providing additional information on the three year contract awarded by Foras na Gaeilge to provide specialist Irish Language courses to the public sector.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the Minister’s letter regarding canal restoration onto the Newry and Portadown Branch of Inland Waterways Association.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Performance and Efficiency Delivery Unit on the monitoring and reporting arrangements in respect of Programme for Government.

9.         Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted that either the Chair or Deputy Chair intended to speak on behalf of the Committee during the Programme for Government debate on Monday 12 March 2012.

10.       Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

11.       Any other business

There was no other business.

12.       Date and Time of Next Meeting      

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 22 March 2012 at 10.30am in The Town Hall, Bangor.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.06pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
22 March 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us