Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 31 May 2012

Venue: Room 21

The meeting opened in public session at 10.38am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meetings held on 24 May 2012

The Committee agreed the minutes of 24 May 2012.

3. Matters Arising

There was no Matters Arising.

4. Briefing from Association of Film & Television NI regarding the Committee Inquiry into Maximizing the Potential of the Creative Industries in Northern Ireland

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.41am:

Chair, Mr Micky O’Neill; and Vice Chair, Mr Roger Fitzpatrick.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mrs Brenda Hale joined the meeting at 10.45am.

Mr William Irwin joined the meeting at 10.46am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.50am.

Mr Pat Sheehan joined the meeting at 11.09am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.15am.

The Clerk outlined details of the Committee visit to Scotland.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 11.17am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that an Assembly Researcher should accompany the Committee on the visit, to assist in the development of a research paper. 

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín rejoined the meeting at 11.20am.

5. DCAL Briefing on June Monitoring

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.20am:

Director of Finance and Corporate Services, Ms Deborah Brown;

Director of Culture, Mr Arthur Scott; and

Director of Sports and Stadiums, Mr Colin Watson.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 11.42am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.42am.

6. Briefing from DCAL on Provisional Outturn & Assessment of Performance.

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.43am:

Director of Finance and Corporate Services, Ms Deborah Brown; and Head of Finance Branch, Mr Michael O’Dowd.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mrs Brenda Hale left the meeting at 11.45am.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide figures to the Committee of budget projections based on 2.5% inflationary rate.

The officials left the meeting at 11.55am.

The Committee moved into closed session at 11.55am.

7. Briefing from National Museums Northern Ireland regarding Funding

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.56am:

Director and Chief Executive, Mr Tim Cooke; Director of People and Performance, Mrs Jude Helliker; and Board of Trustees, Mrs Linda Beers.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mrs Brenda Hale rejoined the meeting at 12.05pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.15pm

Mr Oliver McMullan rejoined the meeting at 12.17pm.

A question and answer session followed.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 12.50pm.

Director of Marketing, Communications & Trading of National Museums Northern Ireland, Mrs Gillian McLean, joined the meeting at 12.56pm.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 1.02pm.

Mr Pat Sheehan left the meeting at 1.02pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 1.02pm.

The officials left the meeting at 1.03pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to outline issues raised during NMNI’s briefing.

The meeting moved into open session at 1.03pm.

8. Correspondence

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting an update on the position of outstanding Post Project Evaluations.

The Committee noted Ofcom’s report to the Secretary of State regarding the licensing of Channel 3 and Channel 5.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the tabled correspondence from staff representatives of BBC Northern Ireland onto the Director of BBC Northern Ireland.

9. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted the invitations received.

Agreed: The Committee noted that the cup stacking, event it had agreed to sponsor, was scheduled for 2 July 2012.

The Committee noted that it’s Motion on ‘Archaeological Artefacts’ has been scheduled for debate on Monday 25 June, subject to Business Committee approval.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to: forward its report on the stakeholder discussion forum on archaeological artefacts to both DCAL and DOE; and to forward correspondence from Northern Ireland Archaeological Forum, dated 19 July 2011, onto the Environment Committee.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Northern Ireland Netball team to congratulate them on their success in the European Championships; and to write to the Minister requesting that she host an event for the team in acknowledgement of their achievements.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

11. Any other business

There was no other business.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 07 June 2012 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.08pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
07 June 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us