Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 29 November 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.32am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of the meeting held on 22 and 27 November 2012

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 22 and 27 November 2012.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted correspondence from DCAL outlining the Stadiums Project's Gateway Review recommendations.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister requesting a written briefing on the outcome of an online survey seeking views of key stakeholders to her Department's review of its 'Delivering Tomorrow's Libraries strategy.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 10.36am.

Agreed: The Committee noted the following Assembly Research papers: Volunteers and Public Libraries; and Use of Alternative Book Formats among Older Library Users, and agreed to revisit these papers when Volunteer Now briefs the Committee.

The Committee noted correspondence from Foras na Gaeilge providing an update on its digitisation project.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward onto Disability Sport NI the Minister of Health's correspondence outlining his Department's work in promoting healthy lifestyles among people with disabilities.

The Committee noted tabled correspondence from the Minister regarding the evaluation of the Communities Festival Fund.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward correspondence from the Minister outlining her Department's work in tackling inequalities and social deprivation onto the Committee for Social Development.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister providing actual return and forecast return for September and October.

The Committee noted correspondence from the IFA responding to the Committee's queries on the affiliation arrangements for Derry City Football Club.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley joined the meeting at 10.42am.

4. IFA briefing regarding Stadium Development

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.42am:

President, Jim Shaw;
Chairman, Dr Les Caul; and
Chief Executive, Patrick Nelson.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.50am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 10.59am.

Mr William Humphrey made a declaration that he is a member of Belfast City Council.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 11.15am.

Mr Dominic Bradley joined the meeting at 11.20am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.27am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to get an update from IFA on the funding allocated for association football's strategic stadium needs at sub regional level.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to raise issues relating to the redevelopment of Windsor Park with Belfast City Council when representatives orally brief the Committee in the New Year.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to keep a watching brief on the progress of the regional stadium project.

5. Ulster Rugby briefing regarding Stadium Development

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.30am:

Chief Executive, Shane Logan; and
Project Sponsor, Rory Miskelly.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley returned to the meeting at 11.33am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 11.45am.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 11.46am.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín returned to the meeting at 11.50am.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 11.51am.

Mr Dominic Bradley returned to the meeting at 12.00noon.

The officials left the meeting at 12.02pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to keep a watching brief on the progress of the stadium project.

6. Ulster GAA briefing regarding Stadium Development

The following official joined the meeting at 12.03pm:

Provincial Director and Secretary, Dr Danny Murphy;
Chairman of Stadium Project Board, Tom Daly;
Head of Finance, HR and Business Development, Michelle McAleer; and
Head of Community Development, Strategy & Public Affairs, Ryan Feeney.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr William Humphrey left the meeting at 12.19pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín made a declaration that he is a Member and official of the GAA.

Mr Michael McGimpsey returned to the meeting at 12.38pm.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 12.48pm.

The officials left the meeting at 1.00pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to keep a watching brief on the progress of the stadium project.

7. Correspondence

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence from NI Schools Football Association to: the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure; the Minister of Education; and IFA.

The Committee noted correspondence from Sport NI advising that it is consulting on equality screening for the following policies and plans: Investment in Amateur Boxing; Gifts, Benefits and Hospitality; and Draft Outdoor Recreation Action Plan for NI.

The Committee noted the invite from DETI to a stakeholder event on the Financial Capability Strategy for Northern Ireland

8. Chairperson's Business

Members noted that a report is being prepared following the stakeholder event with sports governing bodies.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to send thank you letters to both All Saints and Braid Boxing Clubs.

9. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the Department on 6 December 2012 on the Minister's proposed way forward following the salmon conservation consultation.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to request Hansard for DCAL's briefing on January Monitoring Round on 6 December 2012.

10. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a briefing from Lisburn City Council on Lisburn's designation as the European City of Sport for 2013.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek a written briefing from DCAL on the culture, arts and leisure aspects of the Rural White Paper Action Plan.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Tuesday 4th December in Room 144, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.07pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
06 December 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us