Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 29 March 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened at 10.45am.

1.         Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2.         Draft Minutes of Meetings held on 22 March 2012

The Committee agreed the minutes of 22 March 2012.

Mr Robin Swann joined the meeting at 10.46am.

3.         Matters Arising         

The Committee noted the Minister’s correspondence regarding the future sustainability of a Science Centre.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department: to request a timeline for the consultation into salmon conservation measures; and to request an update on the progress of the Department’s discussions with the two nets men.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to write to the Department to ascertain what impact the reallocation of money to offset student fees will have on the Department and its Arm’s Length Bodies; and to write to Sport NI requesting a copy of its revised Savings Delivery Plans.

The Committee noted the information from Assembly Research on tax credits and state aid for film productions in other jurisdictions.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward a copy of the Minister’s letter regarding canal restoration to both the Newry and Portadown Branch of the Inland Waterways Association and the Lagan Canal Restoration Trust.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence from UK City of Culture regarding the British One Act Finals 2013 to the Association of Ulster Drama Festivals.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the UK City of Culture Company 2013 before summer recess.

4.         Briefing from the Ulster Orchestra regarding the Committee Inquiry into Maximizing the Potential of the Creative Industries in Northern Ireland

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.50am:

Chairman, Professor Sir George Bain; and

Member of Board of Directors, Mr Dick Mackenzie.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 10.55am.

Mr William Irwin rejoined the meeting at 10.56am.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.57am.

Mr Cathál Ó hOisín left the meeting at 11.00am.

Mr Cathál Ó hOisín rejoined the meeting at 11.03am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 11.48am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.50am.

Mr Robin Swann left the meeting at 11.51am.

5.         Briefing from Stendhal Arts Festival regarding the Committee Inquiry into Maximizing the Potential of the Creative Industries in Northern Ireland 

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.53am: 

Project Director, Mr Ross Parkhill; and

PR & Communications Director, Mr John Cartwright.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 11.57am.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 11.59am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Robin Swann rejoined the meeting at 12.07pm.

Mr David Hilditch rejoined the meeting at 12.08pm.

Mr Michael McGimpsey rejoined the meeting at 12.08pm.

Mr William Irwin rejoined the meeting at 12.14pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.17pm.

Mr Cathál Ó hOisín left the meeting at 12.17pm.

6.         Committee Inquiry into Maximizing the Potential of the Creative Industries in Northern Ireland 

The Committee noted reports on the two stakeholder events held as part of the Creative Industries inquiry on 23 February 2012 and 15 March 2012.

7.         Archeological Archives in Northern Ireland                       

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer this item of business until its meeting on 19 April 2012.

8.         Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from Reminiscence Network NI.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request an explanation for all easements expected at the end of March 2012.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to write to the Department to request comments on the Department of Justice’s draft Community Safety Strategy; and to consider its response at its meeting on 19 April 2012.

9.         Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted all invites.

10.       Forward Work Programme

The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme from April to July 2012.

11.       Any other business

There was no other business.

12.       Date and Time of Next Meeting         

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 19 April 2012 at 10.00am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.23pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
29 March 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us