Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 28 February 2013

Venue: Room 21

The meeting opened at 10.12am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of the Meeting held on 21 February 2013

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 21 February 2013.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the correspondence tracker.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Belfast Education and Library Board regarding access to school sport facilities and accessibility for teachers to attend coaching sessions.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to NILGA for its comments on issues raised by the Northern Ireland Schools Football Association regarding difficulties faced by a school in securing access to Council owned pitches.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward correspondence from the Minister regarding suggestions to relocate Enniskillen library to the former site at Erne Hospital onto the Committee for Employment and Learning.  

4. Joint briefing on Issues Relating to Countryside Pursuits

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.19am:

Director for British Association for Shooting and Conservation, Mr Tommy Mayne;

Chairman of Gun Trade Guild NI, Mr David Robinson; and

Chief Executive of Countryside Alliance Ireland, Mr Lyall Plant.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr William Humphrey joined the meeting at 10.32am.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 10.34am.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.35am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr William Irwin joined the meeting at 10.50am.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín made a declaration as a participant in country sports.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 11.33am.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín rejoined the meeting at 11.43am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.47am.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 11.47am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the written briefing paper on the proposals for a Firearms Licensing Fee and Other Miscelleneous Amendments to the Firearms (Northern Ireland) Order 2004 and previous correspondence received from the Ulster Clay Pigeon Shooting Association onto the Committee for Justice.  

5. Briefing from Safeguarding Board NI on the Committee’s Investigation into Gaps in Child Protection and Safeguarding across the Culture, Arts and Leisure Remit

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.48am:

Chairperson, Mr Hugh Connor; and
Director of Operations, Ms Sharon Beattie.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 11.57am.

Mr Oliver McMullan rejoined the meeting at 11.59am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 12.08pm.

Mrs Karen McKevitt left the meeting at 12.09pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 12.15pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.20pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan rejoined the meeting at 12.21pm.

Mrs Karen McKevitt rejoined the meeting at 12.21pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.27pm.

Mrs Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 12.29pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín rejoined the meeting at 12.30pm.

Mr Michael McGimpsey rejoined the meeting at 12.40pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.40pm.

6. Explanatory Memoranda for EU Regulations

The Committee agreed to defer the briefing from the Assembly’s EU Project Manager on the general operation of EU Explanatory Memoranda to a later date.

The Clerk spoke to the Explanatory Memorandum on Eel Stocks.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Lords’ EU Scrutiny Committee to highlight the Committee’s opposition to any ban on eel fishing; and to write to the Minister asking that she shares any new scientific evidence she acquires to support this position. 

7. Correspondence

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department for an update on outstanding Post Project Evaluations.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to respond to Ofcom’s consultation ‘Channel 3 and Channel 5: proposed programming obligations’, opposing its proposal to reduce non-news local programming. 

8. Chairperson’s Business

Agreed: The Committee agreed the draft Committee Motion on its Report on the Inquiry on Maximising the Potential of the Creative Industries.

The Committee noted the invitation tracker.

The Committee noted the invitation to Milburn Primary School in Coleraine to the launch of its forthcoming Cultural Exchange Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to send a letter of thanks and congratulations to Milburn Primary School.

The Committee noted the invitation from the Minister to a reception to mark the launch of Seachtaín na Gaeilge and GAA Under 21’s football championship.

9. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

10. Any Other Business

There was no other business.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 12.52pm.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 14th  March 2013, at the MAC Theatre.

The Committee adjourned at 12.53pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
14 March 2013

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us