Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 27 September 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened at 10.08am.

Agreed: Officials agreed that Hansard should cover the briefing from Sandy Row Amateur Boxing Club.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meetings held on 20 September 2012

The Committee agreed the minutes of 20 September 2012.

Mr Robin Swann joined the meeting at 10.09am.

3. Matters Arising      

The Committee noted DCAL’s response to the Committee’s queries on funding for Ulster Scots projects.  

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to forward Sport NI’s response onto Cricket Ireland; and to request from Sport NI an update on the progress of its discussions with Cricket Ireland.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Big Lottery Fund regarding projects funded in Members’ constituencies.

The Committee noted correspondence from National Museums Northern Ireland. 

4. Briefing from DCAL on October Monitoring

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.13am:

Director of Finance and Corporate Services, Deborah Brown;

Director of Culture, Mr Arthur Scott; and

Head of Sport and Stadiums, Mr Ciaran Mee.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr William Irwin joined the meeting at 10.15am.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee details of the allocation of money for the Decade of Centenary Commemorations, including what has been planned and achieved to date.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.27am.

Agreed: Officials agreed to clarify whether money previously allocated for library vehicle replacement includes provision for mobile libraries.

The officials left the meeting at 10.29am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to formally request a briefing from the Department on its Programme for Government delivery plans and Savings Delivery Plans.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 10.29am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider items 6, 7 and 8 of the agenda at this point. 

5. Correspondence

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence from the Committee for Social Development on poverty and social deprivation onto the Department for comment.

Mr Oliver McMullan rejoined the meeting at 10.30am.

6. Chairperson’s Business

Members noted all invitations received. 

7. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the changes to the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold the salmon conservation briefing on 18 October 2012 in closed session.

8. Briefing from Sandy Row Amateur Boxing Club

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.37am:

Secretary, Mr Ian McSorley; and

Committee Member, David Thompson.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 11.00am.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín made a declaration that was a patron of St Canice's Amateur Boxing Club, Dungiven.

Mr William Irwin returned to the meeting at 11.02am.

Mrs Karen McKevitt left the meeting at 11.45am.

Mrs Karen McKevitt rejoined the meeting at 11.46am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.49am.

Agreed: Following discussion, the Committee agreed to write to the following organisations regarding the evidence that was taken from Sandy Row Amateur Boxing Club: DCAL; Sport NI; IABA; Ulster Provincial Boxing Club; County Antrim Board; PSNI; and NSPCC.

9. Any other business

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 11.53am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a meeting with City of Culture Company and Derry City Council representatives as soon as possible.

Mr David Hilditch made a declaration that he is a Director of a Member Club that plays in the same division as Newry City Football Club.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to contact the IFA to request they defer any decision on the future of Newry City Football Club until political representation was made on behalf of the club. 

10. Date and Time of Next Meeting         

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Tuesday 02 October at 10.30am in Room 30, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.03pm.

Ms Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
11 October 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us