Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 27 June 2013

Venue: Belfast Central Library

The meeting opened in public session at 11.07am.

1. Presentation from Libraries NI regarding Belfast Central Library

The following official joined the meeting at 11.08am:

Assistant Director of Area B for Libraries NI, Ms Mandy Bryson.

The official briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Humphrey declared an interest as a Member of Belfast City Council.

The official left the meeting at 11.40am.

2. Presentation from Department for Social Development regarding Plans for Library Square

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.41am:

Programme Director for Belfast Streets Ahead, DSD, Mr Ciaran Donnelly; and
Project Manager for Northside Development, DSD, Mr Martin McDermott.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Humphrey declared an interest as the Minister's Assembly Private Secretary.

Mr William Humphrey left the meeting at 11.56am.

The officials left the meeting at 12.02pm.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 12.02pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 12.02pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk should draft a Motion for agreement at
the Committee meeting on Tuesday 2nd July.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín returned to the meeting at 12.03pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request details of the partnership working involved in the Library Square project.

3. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

4. Draft Minutes of the Meeting held on 13 June 2013

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 13 June 2013.

5. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the correspondence tracker.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister regarding the Public Services Pensions Bill 2013.

Mr William Humphrey returned to the meeting at 12.05pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to get more details of how the Athlete Investment Programme might be reviewed under the Minister's priority of promoting equality, tackling poverty and social exclusion; and how this would be applied.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward to Angling First Ltd the Minister's correspondence outlining the outcome of her officials' discussions with the organisation.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to ascertain how many athletes have currently registered for the World Police and Fire Games.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 12.12pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold the Department's briefing on the Consultation on Salmon Conservation in closed session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to get a detailed breakdown of how the £500K was spent in relation to the culture programme for the World Police and Fire Games; and for her assurances that the programme will be balanced and fully reflective of all culture programmes.

6. RAISE Briefing on Comparison of Arts Council Strategies in the UK and Ireland

The Committee noted the Research paper on Comparison of Arts Council Strategies in the UK and Ireland.

7. Briefing from Arts Council of Northern Ireland on its Five year Draft Strategy

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.13pm:

Chief Executive, Ms Roisin McDonough; and
Director of Strategic Development, Mr Nick Livingston.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 12.13pm.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr William Irwin returned to the meeting at 12.23pm.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley returned to the meeting at 12.26pm.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee the Membership of the Steering
Group for the World Police and Fire Games Culture Programme.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 12.31pm.

Mr David Hilditch returned to the meeting at 12.34pm.

Mrs Karen McKevitt left the meeting at 12.35pm.

Mrs Karen McKevitt returned to the meeting at 12.38pm.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 12.43pm

Mr William Humphrey left the meeting at 12.50pm.

Mr William Irwin returned to the meeting at 12.52pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ascertain timescales
regarding her review of the Arts Council's draft Five Year Strategy.

The officials left the meeting at 12.52pm.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister regarding the provisional outturn exercise for 12/13.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department regarding its Actual Outturn to May 2013 and its Forecast Outturn from June 2013 to March 2014.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Ulster Society for the Protection of the Countryside regarding National Parks.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel regarding Financial Forecasting Data.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Linenhall Library.

The Committee noted the correspondence from BBC Trust regarding its consultation on the position of the BBC World Service.

9. Chairperson's Business

The Committee noted the invitation tracker.

The Committee noted the invite from the Chairman and Board of the Ulster Youth Orchestra to a performance of the Orchestra.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold its meeting on 12th September 2013 in
Londonderry to coincide with the Culture TECH.

The Committee noted the invite from the Department to the Minister's reception for the Ireland boxing squad following the European Championship.

Mr William Humphrey returned to the meeting at 12.56pm.

10. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

11. Any Other Business

There was no other business.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 2nd July 2013 at Parliament Buildings.

The Committee adjourned at 12.58pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
2nd July 2013

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us