Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 26 January 2012

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.18am.

1.       Briefing from the Department on the Odyssey Trust Company and Science Centre Provision

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.21am: 

Deputy Secretary, Ms Cynthia Smith;

Director of Sports, Recreation and Museums Division, Mr Mick Cory; and

Head of Museums and Libraries Branch, Mr Alastair Hughes.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.41am.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee a copy of the Locum Consulting Report on its strategic review of the Science Centre, W5. 

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 11.10am. 

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee its proposals for W5.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 11.17am. 

The officials left the meeting at 11.17am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: that the Clerk should speak to the Clerk of the Public Accounts Committee to ascertain a timescale when the Committee would receive correspondence regarding the Odyssey Trust Company; to schedule a briefing from W5 and hold a Committee meeting at the venue; and to write to the Department regarding appointments to the Board of the Odyssey Trust Company. 

Mr David Hilditch returned to the meeting at 11.20am.        

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding the Odyssey Trust Company’s commitments to W5. 

The meeting moved into open session at 11.29am. 

2.         Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

3.         Draft Minutes of Meeting held on 19 January 2012

The Committee agreed the minutes of 19 January 2012.         

 

4.         Matters Arising

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister providing a copy of the redacted version of the Post Project Evaluation Report and Implementation Plan for the Tollymore National Outdoor Centre.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Libraries NI outlining the outcome to its review of library opening hours.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development regarding the location of Reservoir Safety Policy information events.

5.         Briefing from National Museums Northern Ireland

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.33am:

Director and Chief Executive, Mr Tim Cooke;

Director of Human Resources and Organisational Development, Mrs Jude Helliker; and

Director of Marketing, Communications and Trading, Mrs Gillian McLean.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee a copy of the presentation slides.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr David Hilditch made a declaration that he is Chair of local committees and project teams for museums, including the Andrew Jackson Cottage.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 12.12pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.28pm.

6.         Update on Inquiry into Maximising the Potential of the Creative Industries

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 12.29pm.

The Clerk spoke to her memo.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to finalise a list of those organisations that it intends to invite to give oral evidence to the Committee at its meeting of 2 February 2012.

7.         Draft Committee responses to draft Programme for Government, draft Investment Strategy and Economic Strategy and Action Plan

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer this item of business until the meeting of 2 February 2012.

8.         Correspondence

The Committee noted the DCAL’s Investing Activity Report for January 2012.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to write to the Department to ascertain why it had not published its final Savings Delivery Plans; and to request a timeline for completion.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a written briefing from Pobal regarding the Advisory Committee’s Third Report of the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to write to Sport NI to ascertain what assistance is provided to develop ice hockey, particularly for junior players; and to inform the organisers of the junior Belfast Giants ice hockey club of the Committee’s action.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department of Justice regarding its consultation on mutual recognition of certain judicial decisions across European Member States.

9.         Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted the meeting with the Oireachtas’ Joint Committee on Environment, Transport, Culture and Gaeltacht Affairs was at 4.00pm later that day.             

10.       Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

11.       Any other business 

There was no other business.

12.       Date and Time of Next Meeting       

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 02 February 2012 at 10.30am in Room 21 Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.42pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
2 February 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us