Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 26 April 2012

Venue: Room 21

The meeting opened at 10.06am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meetings held on 19 April 2012

The Committee agreed the minutes of 19 April 2012.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department providing further information regarding anticipated underspend for departmental resource, Libraries NI consultancy and the Ulster Scots Academy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to keep a watching brief on this issue.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Northern Visions and NI Screen regarding the cut to Northern Visions core funding.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to return to this issue when it receives a response to its queries from the Arts Council and the Department.

4. Briefing from the University of Ulster regarding the Committee Inquiry into Maximizing the Potential of the Creative Industries in Northern Ireland

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.09am:

Prof. Greg Lloyd, School of the Built Environment;
Prof. Ian Montgomery, Faculty of Art, Design and the Built Environment;
Dr Colm Murphy, Head of School of Media, Film and Journalism; and
Mr Tim Brundle, Director of Innovation.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr William Irwin joined the meeting at 10.24am.

Mr Dominic Bradley joined the meeting at 10.25am.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.31am.

A question and answer session followed.

The officials left the meeting at 11.15am.

5. Briefing from Creative Skillset and Creative & Cultural Skills regarding the Committee Inquiry into Maximizing the Potential of the Creative Industries in Northern Ireland

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.16am:

Mr Ian Kennedy, Head of Stakeholder Partnerships NI, Creative Skillset;
Mr Alasdair Smith, Director, Scotland, Creative Skillset;
Ms Sara Graham, Northern Ireland Manager, Creative and Cultural Skills; and
Mr Simon Dancey, Nations Director, Creative and Cultural Skills.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

The officials left the meeting at 12.22pm.

6. Briefing from DCAL on the Core-Funded Irish Language Groups 

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.23pm:

Mr Arthur Scott, Director of Culture, DCAL;
Mr Ferdie Mac an Fhailigh, CEO, Foras na Gaeilge; and
Mr Seán Ó Coinn, Deputy CEO, Foras na Gaeilge.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 12.32pm.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 12.37pm.

Mr William Irwin rejoined the meeting at 12.40pm.

Agreed: It was agreed that the officials would return to brief the Committee in late June, early September in advance of the final report arising from the consultation.

The officials left the meeting at 12.56pm.

7. Archaeological Archives in Northern Ireland

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to forward the findings from the Stakeholder Forum onto the Committee for the Environment; and to defer this item until the meeting on 3 May 2012.

8. Correspondence

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from Departmental officials on SL1: The Safety of Sports Grounds (Fees and Appeals) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012.

The Committee noted the quarterly Policy Screening Report from Libraries NI.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward correspondence regarding the ‘Protect Life’ Strategy onto the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure.

The Committee considered correspondence received from Stephen Agnew MLA, regarding a Private Members Bill.

Agreed: It was agreed to forward the Private Members Bill to DCAL for comment.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to include a presentation from Newry and Portadown branch of the Inland Waterways Association in the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to sponsor and host, in principle, the Ireland Sport Stacking Team at Parliament Buildings.

The Committee considered correspondence from the British Association for Shooting and Conservation, registering their interest in future consultations regarding the ownership of Lough Neagh.

Agreed: It was agreed to forward this correspondence to DCAL and to Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development, asking to forward to DARD.

The Committee considered correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel, regarding the review of budget allocations.

Agreed: It was agreed to forward this correspondence onto DCAL for comment.

9. Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson reminded Members that an informal meeting has been scheduled for Monday 30 April 2012 with the Ulster Provincial Boxing Council to discuss work in relation to the boxing strategy.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee agreed the changes to the Forward Work Programme.

11. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Derry City FC and Crusaders FC congratulating them on reaching the Setanta Cup Final 2012.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 03 April 2012 at 10.00am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.56pm.

Ms Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
26 April 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us