Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 25 April 2013

Venue: Armagh Planetarium

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.57am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for OFMDFM regarding outcome to the Leveson Inquiry as outlined in the Royal Charter.

The Committee moved into open session at 11.01am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of the Meeting held on 18 April 2013

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 18 April 2013.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the correspondence tracker.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to request DCAL's outstanding response to its letter highlighting concerns raised by Ulster Hockey.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to DCAL to get information regarding delays in issuing letters of offer to funding applications by sports governing bodies.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Northern Ireland Tourist Board regarding accommodation for the World Police and Fire Games.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to: the Department of Health, Social Services
and Public Safety and the Department of Justice to raise concerns regarding
restrictions on employees competing in the World Police and Fire Games;
and also to the Chair of the 2013 World Police and Fire Games Ltd.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to include the following document into the Report on the Committee's investigation into child protection and safeguarding across the culture, arts and leisure remit: correspondence from Access NI providing technical clarification to some evidence received by the Committee during oral evidence sessions; and correspondence from NSPCC and the Department of Justice on abuse of trust issues.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 11.07am.

The Committee noted DEFRA's response to the Committee's correspondence outlining its concerns regarding proposals of a European Council Regulation on establishing measures for the recovery of the stock of European eels.

The Committee noted correspondence from Belfast City Council providing details of the number of applications for new clubs in the last three years; the outcome of its consultation on its boxing strategy; and a copy of a draft version of the final agreed strategy.

4. Briefing from Armagh Planetarium on the Committee's Investigation into Gaps in Child Protection and Safeguarding across the Culture, Arts and Leisure Remit

The Committee noted the Committee Office memo outlining the itinerary for the stakeholder event at Grosvenor Grammar School on 2 May 2013.

The Committee noted the tabled Annual Report and Accounts for the Armagh Planetarium and Observatory for year ended 31 March 2012.

The following official joined the meeting at 11.16am:

Child Protection Officer & Director, Mr Tom Mason.

The official briefed the Committee.

Mr David Hilditch rejoined the meeting at 11.19am.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: The official agreed to provide to the Committee a copy of its child protection
policy and a list of the schools that have visited the Planetarium over the past
year.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 12.07pm.

The official left the meeting at 12.10pm.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 12.12pm.

5. DCAL briefing on SL1 Prohibition of sale of rod caught salmon regulations (2013)

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.12pm:

Head of Inland Fisheries, Mr Aidan Cassidy;
Chief Fisheries Officer, Mr Seamus Connor; and
DCAL Official, Mr Liam Devlin.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee details on the number of prosecutions relating to angling in other jurisdictions.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín made a declaration that he is a member of an angling association.

The officials left the meeting at 12.28pm.

Mr William Irwin rejoined the meeting at 12.28pm.

Mr Basil McCrea left the meeting at 12.28pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it is content that DCAL proceeds to make the
Statutory Rule.

6. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence from DCAL outlining its yearly outturn figures.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Libraries NI on its Quarterly Screening Report.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 12.29pm.

7. Chairperson's Business

The Committee noted the invitation tracker.

The Committee noted the letter from Booktrust thanking the Committee for hosting the Letterbox anniversary event.

Mr Basil McCrea returned to the meeting at 12.31pm.

The Committee noted the invitation to the University of Ulster's inaugural Ulster Business Festival from 8 to 10 May 2013.

8. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed to a study visit to the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts on 16 May 2013.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to a study visit to Holland Frisian Academy in September.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín returned to the meeting at 12.35pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

9. Any Other Business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request details from Foras na Gaeilge on proposals for the new funding model for core Irish language groups and proposals to replace Gaelscéal.

10. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 02 May 2013 at Grosvenor Grammar School.

The Committee adjourned at 12.38pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
09 May 2013

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us