Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 24 May 2012

Venue: E3 Building, Belfast Metropolitan College

The meeting opened at 11.39am.

1.  Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2.  Draft Minutes of Meetings held on 17 May 2012 

The Committee agreed the minutes of 17 May 2012.

3.  Matters Arising           

The Committee noted the response from DCAL’s Permanent Secretary regarding the NICS Live 2012 event.

The Committee noted the concept note for the grant programme of the European Creative Districts for the North West Region, forwarded by the Arts Council.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to: forward the correspondence from Belfast City Council regarding the Lagan Canal Gateway Project onto Lagan Canal Trust; and to schedule a briefing from Lagan Canal Trust onto the Forward Work Programme in the new session.

4.  Briefing from Belfast Metropolitan College regarding the Committee Inquiry into Maximizing the Potential of the Creative Industries in Northern Ireland

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.42am:

Director of Curriculum and Assistant CEO, Mr Justin Edwards;  

Director of Development & Learner Services, Mr Damian Duffy; and

Head of Corporate Development, Ms Gillian Magee.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Robin Swann joined the meeting at 11.48am.

A question and answer session followed.         

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 12.01pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.32pm.

Mr Robin Swann left the meeting at 12.32pm.          

5.  Committee Inquiry into Maximizing the Potential of the Creative Industries in Northern Ireland – Draft Programme for Committee Visit

Agreed: The Committee agreed: its preferred return travel arrangements for the Committee visit to Scotland; and the draft programme. 

Agreed: The following Members indicated that they would be participating in the visit to Scotland: Mr Dominic Bradley; Mr David Hilditch; and Miss Michelle McIlveen (Chair). Other Members agreed to inform the Committee team as soon as possible. 

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 12.40pm. 

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 12.40pm.

6.  DCAL Briefing Paper on Review of Delivering Tomorrow’s Libraries Policy

The Committee noted the briefing paper from the Department on its review of ITS Delivering Tomorrow’s Libraries policy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the Department on its review in the Autumn.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Libraries NI to receive an update on the latest position regarding libraries that are currently subject to review, after being earmarked for closure last year. 

7.  Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from Ofcom regarding the application process for a local TV licence in Belfast.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for Finance and Personnel, to confirm that it was previously made aware of the requirement for Excess Votes and is content for the Budget (No. 2) Bill to proceed.

8.  Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted the invitations received.

The Committee noted that the date for the NEST event is 19 June 2012.

Mr William Irwin returned to the meeting at 12.45pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to informally meet with the President of the Ireland Institute of Pittsburg during his visit to Northern Ireland in early June.  

Mr David Hilditch returned to the meeting at 12.46pm.

The Chairperson advised she will be speaking as Chair during the debate on the Legislative Consent Motion of the Cultural Gifts Scheme Provisions on Tuesday 29 May 2012.

9.  Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule an additional meeting in the afternoon of Tuesday 26 June to receive briefings from UK City of Culture and DCAL Officials on the boxing strategy.

10.  Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to share with Research and Library Services its report on archaeological archives following the stakeholder discussion forum in March.

Agreed: Members agreed the revised wording of the Committee Motion on archaeological archives.

11.  Date and Time of Next Meeting          

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 31 May 2012 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.50pm. 

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
31 May 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us