Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 24 January 2013

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.08am.

1. Consideration of Draft Report of Inquiry into Maximizing the Potential of the Creative Industries

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold a meeting on Tuesday 29 January 2013 to further discuss the draft Executive Summary and Recommendations.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 10.18am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to provide comments on the draft recommendations to the Committee Office by lunchtime on Monday 28 January 2013.

The meeting moved into open session at 10.21am.

2. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

3. Draft Minutes of the Meeting held on 17 January 2013

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 17 January 2013.

4. Matters Arising 

Agreed: The Committee agreed to follow up on any outstanding correspondence due on or before 21 December 2012.

The Committee noted the tabled correspondence from the Health Committee, confirming that they will co-sponsor an event to showcase the BLISS project, a project for people with profound and multiple learning difficulties.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.24am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider the following Agenda Items next: Correspondence and Chairperson’s Business.

5. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from DCAL regarding actual outturn to December 2012 and Forecast Outturn to March 2013.

Mrs Karen McKevitt left the meeting at 10.25am.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development enclosing a copy of the Hansard Report of its briefing on the working group considering the ownership of Lough Neagh. 

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward briefing papers considered by the Finance and Personnel Committee, on the strategic direction of EU Funding, to the Department for information.  

The Committee noted correspondence from the Arts Council NI regarding its screening exercise of its Five Year Strategic Plan 2013 – 2018.

The Committee noted tabled correspondence from the Minister, enclosing copies of her statements on the NSMC Inland Waterways and Language Body meetings.

Agreed: The Clerk agreed to check previous correspondence from Belfast Visitor and convention Bureau regarding registration fees for the World Police and Fire Games.

Mrs Karen McKevitt rejoined the meeting at 10.30am.

The Committee noted the tabled Libraries NI Annual Report and Accounts for 2011-12.

6. Chairperson’s Business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the British Association for Shooting and Conservation on country sports and the Firearms consultation.

Mr William Irwin joined the meeting at 10.31am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to: write to the Departments of Education, Employment & Learning and Agriculture & Rural Development regarding access to pitches; write to the Governing Bodies Association regarding encouraging closer links between schools and clubs to share resources, personnel and facilities; and explore available EU funding for initiatives with respect to promoting the uptake of sport in schools.

The Committee noted the invitation to the Chinese Art Exhibition on Wednesday 30 January.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write a letter to the Culture Company for its invitation to the Sons and Daughters concert.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to commission research to scope possible locations for a European fact finding trip.

Agreed: The Committee agreed the draft Motion on Grassroot and Elite Sports Facilities.

7. Briefing from DCAL on its Review of Arms’ Length Bodies

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.42am:

Deputy Secretary, Ms Cynthia Smith;

Director of Finance and Corporate Services, Ms Deborah Brown; and

Head of Museums and Libraries, Mr Alastair Hughes.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 10.46am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 11.25am.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 11.30am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.48am.

8. Investigation into Gaps in Child Protection and Safeguarding Across the Culture, Arts and Leisure Remit

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite PSNI to give oral evidence as part of its Investigation into Gaps in Child Protection and Safeguarding across the Culture, Arts and Leisure remit; and to invite the following organisations to give written evidence: Mencap; Disability Sport NI; PIPS; and Opportunity Youth.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite Volunteer Now to brief the Committee on the Investigation on 14 February 2013.

Briefing from Beatthecyberbully

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.51am:

Researcher, Wayne Denner; and

Researcher, Elaine Montgomery.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Michael McGimpsey rejoined the meeting at 11.54am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr David Hilditch rejoined the meeting at 12.02pm.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 12.20pm.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley returned to the meeting at 12.23pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.29am.

The officials left the meeting at 12.37pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan returned to the meeting at 12.37pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 12.38pm.

9. Briefing from Assembly Research on the Community Festivals Fund Evaluation

The following official joined the meeting at 12.38pm:

Assembly Researcher, Dr Dan Hull.

The official briefed the Committee.

Mr William Irwin left the Committee meeting at 12.47pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín returned to the meeting at 12.49pm.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 12.51pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 12.51pm.

A question and answer session followed.

The official left the meeting at 12.53pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the briefing paper to the Department for comment.

10. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

11. Any other business

There was no other business.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 31th January 2013, Ebrington Square.

The Committee adjourned at 12.57 pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
31 January 2013

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us