Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 23 May 2013

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The Committee meeting opened at 10.39am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

Mr Basil McCrea joined the meeting at 10.40am.

2. Draft Minutes of the Meeting held on 09 May 2013

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 09 May 2013.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the correspondence tracker.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley joined the meeting at 10.41am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister for her assessment on the immediate impact that the upcoming legal case with respect to the Windsor Park redevelopment might have on the stadia development programme as a whole.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Minister of Health, Social Services and Public Safety and from the Chair of the World Police and Fire Games on allocation of leave for those participating in the 2013 World Police and Fire Games.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 10.47am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from Sport NI on its recommendations following the audit of the Ulster Provincial Boxing Council.

Mr David Hilditch rejoined the meeting at 10.50am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward correspondence from the Department of Education on coaching qualifications within the teacher training curriculum onto the IFA.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request from Foras na Gaeilge that the Committee is kept informed of progress in relation to issues around core funding and proposals to replace the Gaelscéal newspaper; and to ascertain the date of a focus group in Belfast on reading trends among Irish Language speakers.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule an informal meeting with NILGA to discuss local government partnership on sport, art and creative industries; and to ascertain at that meeting the number of Councils that have applied and successfully received EU funding.

The Committee noted the tabled correspondence from the Minister regarding the consultation on draft inquiry rules on the inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse.

The Committee noted the tabled correspondence from the Minister regarding the timescales for the delivery of the Casement redevelopment project; and agreed to keep a watching brief on this issue.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to include additional information from the Safeguarding Board on faith groups into its Report on the Investigation into Gaps in Child Protection and Safeguarding across the Culture, Arts and Leisure remit.

The Committee noted the tabled response from the Speakers Office regarding a reception to celebrate the centenary of the first Craigantlet Hill Climb.

The meeting was suspended at 10.58am.

The meeting restarted in open session at 11.00am.

4. Briefing from Angling First Ltd regarding its Role and Remit

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.00am:

Chairperson, Mr Johnston McNeill; and
Development Officer, Mr Mark McGivern.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín made a declaration that he is an angler and a member of a number of angling associations.

Mr William Irwin joined the meeting at 11.20am.

Mr Basil McCrea made a declaration that he is an angler.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide a copy of their accounts to the Committee.

Mr Basil McCrea left the meeting at 11.33am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.35am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to: explore whether the scheme offered by Angling First Ltd could be replicated across other lakes within the DCAL jurisdiction; ascertain the outcome of discussions between Angling First Ltd and DCAL officials in relation to the provision of rods and licences; and explore what grants exist that Angling First Ltd might avail of.

5. Briefing from Northern Ireland Theatre Association on the Performing Arts

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.37am:

General Manager, Big Telly Theatre Company, Ms Louise Rossington;
Executive Director/Artistic Director, Prime Cut, Ms Emma Jordan;
Operations Manager, Market Place Theatre & Arts Centre, Mr Vincent McCann; and
Co-ordinator, NITA, Ms Charlotte Smith.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide a definition of performing arts to the Committee.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 12noon.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.12pm.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 12.16pm.

Mr David Hilditch rejoined the meeting at 12.18pm.

Mr William Humphrey left the meeting at 12.34pm.

Mr William Humphrey rejoined the meeting at 12.36pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.46pm.

Members discussed possible work streams.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the Arts Council of Northern Ireland on its draft Five Year Strategy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk should scope possible work streams
regarding the NW 200 and football.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from NW 200 organisers in
September.

6. SR 2013-119 Prohibition of the Sale of Rod Caught Salmon Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013

S.R. 2013/119 Prohibition of the Sale of Rod Caught Salmon Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013.

Question put and agreed:

That the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure has considered the Prohibition of the Sale of Rod Caught Salmon Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013 and has no objection to the rule.

7. Consent Motion – The Public Bodies (Abolition of the Registrar of Public Lending Right Order) 2013

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister regarding a Consent Motion on the Public Bodies (Abolition of the Registrar of Public Lending Right Order) 2013.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it is content for the Department to proceed to lay the Statutory Instrument.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 12.58pm.

8. Correspondence

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ascertain timescales of upcoming consultations from the Department.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Committee for Enterprise Trade and Investment regarding the Consumer Council for Northern Ireland review.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment to DCAL on a third sector mapping exercise.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Health, Social Services and Public Safety to DCAL on suicide prevention strategies.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Big Lottery Fund regarding the launch of the Space and Place programme.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Arts Council regarding the One City One Book choice for 2013.

The Committee noted the tabled correspondence from the Northern Ireland Volleyball regarding upcoming competitions that they are participating in.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write a congratulatory letter to Northern Ireland Volleyball following their participation at competitive events.

9. Chairperson's Business

The Committee noted the invitation tracker.

The Committee noted the invite to the Replay Theatre Company discussion event to showcase the BLISS project.

The Committee noted the memo from the Clerk outlining the arrangements for the coordinated visit by Committees to Londonderry on 12th June 2013.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to contact: Belfast City Council to get an update on its discussions with Ulster Hockey; and Sport NI on available funding and deadlines for applications.

10. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to start the meeting of Thursday 06 June at 10am.

11. Any Other Business

There was no other business.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 30 May 2013 at 10am in Room 21.

The Committee adjourned at 1.10pm.

Mr William Irwin MLA
Deputy Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
30 May 2013

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us