Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 29 September 2011

The meeting opened at 2.02pm in closed session.

The Committee agreed to request details of the audit of Disability Sport NI once it had been completed.

The Committee agreed that the considered correspondence should be released as part of the Department’s response to an FOI request.

Mr Robin Swann joined the meeting at 2.05pm.

The meeting moved into open session at 2.05pm.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meeting Held on 22 September 2011

The Committee agreed the minutes of 22 September 2011.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the Minister’s response to the issues raised by the Ulster Folk Orchestra on the impact of the economic downturn on local arts.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department, providing a breakdown of money spent on the Ulster Scots Academy to date.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to seek clarification on the priority placed on her review into Arm’s Length Bodies in respect to other business areas; and to ascertain a definitive date for an oral briefing on the issue.

The Committee noted the correspondence received from the Department regarding the NICCY 2011 Participation Awards.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to return to Libraries NI’s proposals to reduce opening hours at next week’s meeting when Libraries NI brief the Committee; and to ask Libraries NI to also address members queries on its review into mobile library provision at that time.

The Committee noted the response from the Department outlining the timescale for appointing a new Chair and two Board Members for Libraries NI.

4. Departmental briefing on Forecast Outturn, Annual Report and Accounts, and October Monitoring.

The Committee noted the Clerk’s memo; and the briefing papers from the Department on Forecast Outturn, Annual Reports and Accounts and October Monitoring.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 2.12pm.

The following officials joined the meeting at 2.15 pm:

Director of Finance and Corporate Services, Ms Deborah Brown; 
Director of Culture, Mr Arthur Scott; 
Head of Sport, Mr Colin Watson; and 
Head of Finance, Mr Michael O’Dowd.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: The officials agreed to explain the rationale of the movement of £90K from library vehicles in this monitoring round.

Officials left the meeting at 3.00pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request an audit of all the assets under its ownership; and to ascertain the implications on potential insurance claims in the event that the Department cannot demonstrate clear legal title of its assets.

5. Update on Committee Inquiry into Creative Industries

Agreed: The Committee agreed to revisit this item of business at next week’s meeting.

6. Fisheries (Amendment) Regulations (NI) 2011 and Eel Fishing (Amendment) Regulations (NI) 2011.

S.R. 2011/324 Fisheries (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011.

Question put and Agreed:

That the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure has considered the Fisheries (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011 and, subject to the Examiner of Statutory Rule’s report, has no objection to the rule.

S.R. 2011/325 Eel Fishing (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011.

Question put and Agreed:

That the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure has considered the Eel Fishing (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011 and, subject to the Examiner of Statutory Rule’s report, has no objection to the rule.

7. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment regarding the Northern Ireland Tourist Board’s NI2012 Our Time Our Place programme of events.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the Northern Ireland Tourist Board onto the Forward Work Programme.

8. Chairpersons Business

The Chairperson did not have any business to report.

9. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule two briefings from Libraries NI at next week’s meeting: the first on the outcome to stage two of the consultation into library closures; and the second on its consultation into reduced opening hours.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that both briefings from Libraries NI should be covered by Hansard.

10. Any Other Business

The Committee noted the report from the Committee for Justice on the Legislative Consent Motion on the London Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (Amendment) Bill.

The Committee noted the questionnaire to ascertain members’ views on the use of electronic committee packs.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Waterways Ireland to ascertain its financial contribution to the Fermanagh Seaplane Festival in September 2011.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 6 October 2011 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 3.07pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
6 October 2011

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us