Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 02 June 2011

Venue: 21

The meeting commenced at 10.33am in open session.

The Committee noted that the Department would present its briefing on the Final Budget Allocation 2011-2015 before the June Monitoring brief; and that a revised agenda had been tabled.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meeting Held on 26 May 2011

The Committee agreed the minutes of 26 May 2011.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted that in general, Statutory Rules come from a Department or, in some cases, from a rule-making body empowered to make a Statutory Rule. Private members cannot lay a Statutory Rule but a private members’ bill could confer power on a Department to make Statutory Rules.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to commission a research paper outlining the background to Foras na Gaeilge’s consultation on the proposed changes to the way in which the Irish language voluntary sector is funded.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to ask Foras na Gaeilge to bring forward their brief to the Committee on their consultation to 9 June.

The Committee noted the suitability of Aughabrack Community Hall as a venue to host a Committee meeting; and Clann na nGael’s proposals to invite local community sport and art groups from all areas of the community to attend.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer the decision on whether to hold it’s meeting of 23 June at Aughabrack Community Hall until assurances are received from Clann na nGael that local community groups from across the community divide will be invited; and that a reasonable number of Members can attend.

4. DCAL Briefing regarding Final Budget Allocation 2011-2015 and Summary of Consultation Responses

The Committee noted the Department’s paper on Final Budget Allocation 2011-2015 and Summary of Consultation responses.

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.51am:

Deputy Secretary, Ms Cynthia Smith; 
Director of Finance and Corporate Services, Ms Deborah Brown; 
Head of Sport and Lottery Branch, Mr Colin Watson; and 
Director of Culture, Mr Arthur Scott.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mrs Brenda Hale left the meeting at 11.31am.

The briefing concluded at 11.35am.

5. DCAL Briefing regarding June Monitoring

The Committee noted the Department’s paper on June Monitoring.

The following officials remained to brief the Committee on June Monitoring at 11.35am:

Director of Finance and Corporate Services, Ms Deborah Brown; 
Deputy Secretary, Ms Cynthia Smith; 
Head of Sport and Lottery Branch, Mr Colin Watson; and 
Director of Culture, Mr Arthur Scott.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

The briefing concluded at 11.47am.

Mrs K McKevitt left the meeting at 11.47am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting further information on Stages 1 and 2 of the Department’s review into Arms’ Length Bodies.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting further information on the funding of the UK City of Culture project, including its delivery mechanisms and related timescales.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting additional information regarding the reduced budget allocation for W5.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for Finance and Personnel seeking details on the new scheme that will replace the End Year Flexibility (EYF) mechanism.

6. Assembly Research and Information Service Briefing on Museums Provisions in Northern Ireland

Mrs K McKevitt returned to the meeting at 11.51am.

Dr Dan Hull spoke to his background paper on museums provisions in Northern Ireland.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr David Hilditch made a declaration that he is a Board Member for Mid Antrim Museums and Chairperson of the Carrickfergus Museums’ Committee.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 12.02pm.

7. Committee’s Review into Impact and Value of Museums

The Clerk briefed the Committee on the previous Committee’s review into the Impact and Value of museums.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure to determine what action she intends to take to implement the recommendations outlined in the Review into the Impact and Value of Museums.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted the letter from the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure, in her role as Keeper of the Records, advising that the Public Record Office will be laying disposal schedules in the Northern Ireland Assembly on behalf of departments and other public bodies.

The Committee noted the letter from the Northern Ireland Assembly and Business Trust requesting the Committee’s support in jointly sponsoring the City of Belfast Youth Orchestra’s performance at their AGM.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to jointly sponsor the Orchestra’s performance at the AGM on 21 June.

The Committee noted the invite from the BBC to brief the Committee on issues affecting local BBC services.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a brief from the BBC onto the Forward Work Programme.

The Committee noted the invite from the Big Lottery Fund to brief the Committee on its role and functions.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a brief from the Big Lottery Fund onto the Forward Work Programme.

The Committee noted the letter from the ‘Save Gilford Library’ campaign requesting to brief the Committee.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the group, advising that the Libraries NI consultation has closed and that they are scheduled to brief the Committee on its outcome on 30 June.

9. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted that the Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson have accepted an invitation from the Committee for OFMDFM to attend its EU Issues Discussion Forum on 20 June in the Long Gallery.

The Committee noted the outcome of the Chairperson’s meeting with the Chairperson of NI Screen, held on 31 May.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a brief from NI Screen onto the Forward Work Programme.

10. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the changes to the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to have the briefs on the Ulster Scots Academy and Foras na Gaeilge covered by Hansard on 9 June.

11. Any Other Business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure, requesting her support to encourage the quick restoration of Arthur Cottage in Ballymena, which was badly damaged by a fire.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Mr Jim Boyce to congratulate him on his recent appointment as Vice President of FIFA.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the International Cricket Council to lobby against the possible exclusion of the Irish Cricket team in the 2015 World Cup tournament. The Committee also agreed to write to the Minister requesting her support in this matter.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 9 June 2011 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.22pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
2 June 2011

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us