Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 02 February 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened at 10.42am.

Mr William Irwin made a declaration that he is an Associate Member of the Richhill Improvement Committee, which lobbied against the closure of Richhill library.

Agreed: The Committee agreed the following briefings would be covered by Hansard: Department’s briefing on its response to the Creative Industries Inquiry; and GAA briefing on Stadium Development.  

Agreed: The Committee agreed to allow the Assembly Communications Team to film footage of the Departmental briefing.

1.         Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2.         Draft Minutes of Meeting held on 26 January 2012

The Committee agreed the minutes of 26 January 2012.

3.         Matters Arising

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek an update from the Minister after the next North South Ministerial Council meeting regarding her correspondence on funding for the Ulster Canal.  

The Committee noted: the correspondence from the Minister regarding angling issues; and that a Departmental briefing had been scheduled on 16 February regarding these matters.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to: forward the Minister’s correspondence regarding the Olympic Torch Relay route onto Salto Gymnastics Centre; and to write to NILGA regarding the representation that was made to LOCOG on behalf of Salto Gymnastics Centre. 

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department of Education regarding the Get Set Network Initiative.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward onto the Department Sport NI’s correspondence regarding its capital budget allocation for 2014/15.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to request an update from the Department regarding its representations with Belfast City Council on funding to Lagan Canal Restoration Trust; to encourage the Department to liaise with Lagan Canal Restoration Trust to secure funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund; and to schedule onto the Forward Work Programme a briefing from Ulster Garden Villages.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request that it is kept informed of any budgetary implications following the delay in the 50m pool project.  

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister on its Disposal of Records Schedule for the Northern Ireland Events Company.

4.         Committee Inquiry into Maximising the Potential of the Creative Industries

a.      Consideration of Witnesses for Oral Evidence Sessions

Agreed: The Committee agreed the list of organisations it intended to invite to give oral evidence to the Committee as part of its Inquiry.

b.      Briefing from the Department on its Response to the Creative Industries Inquiry

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.03am:

Head of Arts Branch, Ms Joanne McConway; and

Head of Creative Industries, Mr Stephen McGowan.  

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.     

Mr Robin Swann left the meeting at 11.18am.

Mr Robin Swann rejoined the meeting at 11.30am.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 11.36am.

Mrs Brenda Hale left the meeting at 11.47am.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 11.49am.

Mr David Hilditch rejoined the meeting at 11.52am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.53am

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 11.53am.

The meeting was suspended at 11.53am.

The meeting resumed in open session at 11.57am.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín rejoined the meeting at 11.57am.

5.         Briefing from the GAA on Stadium Development

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.58am:

Chair of the Stadium Board, Mr Tom Daly;

Head of Strategy and Public Affairs Ulster GAA, Mr Ryan Feeney:

Head of Finance and Business Planning Ulster GAA, Ms Michelle McAleer; and

Project Sponsor, Casement Park Stadium Project, Mr Stephen McGeehan.

Mr Cathál Ó hOisín made a declaration that he is: a member of the GAA; a club official; and a representative of the County Board.

Mr Dominic Bradley made a declaration that he is a member of a GAA Club.

Mr Oliver McMullan made a declaration that he is a member of the GAA.

Ms Karen McKevitt made a declaration that she is a member of the GAA.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mrs Brenda Hale rejoined the meeting at 12.12pm.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide a copy of their presentation to the Committee Office.

The officials left the meeting at 12.46pm.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 12.46pm

6.         Briefing from Northern Ireland Museums Council on its Role and Remit

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.47pm:

Director, Mr Chris Bailey; and

Assistant Director, Ms Briony Crozier.

Mr Dominic Bradley rejoined the meeting at 12.47pm.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide a copy of their presentation to the Committee

Office.

Mr David Hilditch made a declaration that he is a Board Member of local museums groups. 

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 1.20pm.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 1.25pm.

The officials left the meeting at 1.30pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to liaise with the Committee for the Environment to facilitate a stakeholder discussion forum regarding archaeological archives.

7.         Draft Committee responses on Draft Programme for Government, Draft Investment Strategy and Draft Economic Strategy and Action Plan

Agreed: The Committee agreed the draft Committee responses to the Draft Programme for Government, Draft Investment Strategy and Draft Economic Strategy and Action Plan

8.         Correspondence

The Committee noted the Department’s Screening Report.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to keep the All Party Group on Rugby informed of any progress regarding funding for rugby coaches for juniors.

The Committee noted the Belfast Healthy Cities 2010-11 Annual Review.

9.         Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson advised Members that she would be meeting the Minister that afternoon.

The Committee noted an invitation from Mr Stewart Dickson MLA to an information session on behalf of the Serious Organised Crime Agency on 7 February 2012.

10.       Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the changes to the Forward Work Programme.

11.       Any other business

There was no other business.

12.       Date and Time of Next Meeting          

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 9 February 2012 at 10.30am in Room 21 Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.35pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
9 February 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us