Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 18 April 2013

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.33am.

Mr Basil McCrea joined the meeting at 10.35am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk should contact DCAL Officials to ascertain if the Department is providing a response to the Leveson Inquiry as outlined in the Royal Charter.

The meeting moved into open session at 10.37am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of the Meeting held on 11 April 2013

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 11 April 2013.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the correspondence tracker.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward correspondence from the Department of Employment and Learning providing contact details for Further and Higher Education providers onto the IFA.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the IFA updating the Committee on its meeting with CAFRE in relation to access to facilities.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Sport NI requesting the outcome to its audit into IABA once completed; and for details on any actions it is taking regarding Ulster Provincial Boxing Council's audit assurance levels.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to formally write to IABA to inform them of the Committee's decision not to make representation to the working group set up to consider boxing.

Mr William Irwin joined the meeting at 10.43am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to forward the response from Belfast City Council regarding the cycling track at Orangefield Park in Belfast to the Ulster Track Cycling Coach; to suggest to Belfast City Council that it may wish to be involved in any discussions with the Minister about this matter; and to ascertain more information regarding Belfast City Council's arrangement with Bloomfield Football Club.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Sport NI regarding the Sport Matters Community Capital Programme.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 10.50am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the Department of the Environment's letter regarding concerns raised about the redevelopment of Casement Park to the Mooreland and Owenvarragh Residents Association.

The Committee noted the response from Foras na Gaeilge regarding its hard copy and online publications.

Mrs Karen McKevitt left the meeting at 10.51am.

4. Briefing from National Museums Northern Ireland and Northern Ireland Museums Council on the Committee's Investigation into Gaps in Child Protection and Safeguarding across the Culture, Arts and Leisure Remit

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.51am:

Director of Learning & Partnership, National Museums Northern Ireland, Mr Paddy Gilmore;
Head of HR, National Museums Northern Ireland, Mr Mark Wilkinson;
Visitor Services Manager, Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, Ms Ruth Turkington; and
Director, Northern Ireland Museums Council, Mr Chris Bailey.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Oliver McMullan rejoined the meeting at 10.53am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 11.12am.

Mr Basil McCrea left the meeting at 11.27am.

Mr Basil McCrea rejoined the meeting at 11.29am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.31am.

5. Briefing from DCAL on Líofa

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.33am:

Director of Culture, Mr Arthur Scott; and
Head of Languages and Waterways Ireland Branch, Mr Jerome Dawson.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr William Humphrey left the meeting at 12.01pm.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide the following information to the Committee: CPD advice in relation to the procurement on the delivery of the Gaeltacht Bursary Scheme; post project evaluation for the pilot of the Gaeltacht Bursary Scheme; details of and business case for any spend on Líofa birthday parties for 2012 and 2013; and details of the Department's spend on the Líofa website.

The officials left the meeting at 12.08pm.

6. Correspondence

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to National Museums Northern Ireland and Northern Ireland Environment Agency for an update on and details of the working group considering archaeological archives.

7. Chairperson's Business

The Committee noted the invitation tracker.

The Committee agreed to sponsor an event to review the Community Partnership event between IFA & McDonald's.

The Committee noted the invitation from the Speaker to attend the Assembly's "Perspectives On" series.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to commission research regarding the funding formula for elite sports people in other jurisdictions.

8. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold an extra meeting on Tuesday 30 April 2013 for a briefing on the SL1 stage of the Prohibition of Sale and Rod Caught Salmon Regulations (2013).

9. Any Other Business

There was no other business.

10. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 25th April 2013 at Armagh Planetarium.

The Committee adjourned at 12.18pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
25 April 2013

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us