Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 17 November 2011

Venue: Room 21

1. Apologies

The apologies as noted.

2. Draft Minutes of Meeting Held on 10 November 2011

The Committee agreed the minutes of 10 November 2011.

3. Matters Arising

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to Sport NI to ascertain: the percentage of Award for Sport applicants from rural and urban areas; Sport NI’s definition of socially disadvantaged and rural isolation; what action is being taken to promote the awards programme in these areas; and what advice is given to unsuccessful applicants.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the Department on its Evaluation of the Creative Industries Innovation Fund.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward the written briefing from the World Police and Fire Games Ltd to the Committee for the Environment.

4. Briefing from BBC NI regarding the Consultation Delivering Quality First

The Committee noted the memo from the Clerk.

The following official joined the meeting at 2.39pm:

Director of BBC NI, Mr Peter Johnston.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 2.40pm.

The official briefed the Committee.

Mr Robin Swann joined the meeting at 2.44pm.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 2.55pm.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Robin Swann left the meeting at 3.15pm.

The official left the meeting at 3.26pm.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from BBC NI staff representatives regarding the BBC Trust consultation.

5. Briefing regarding Digital Switchover Help Scheme

The following officials joined the meeting at 3.27pm:

Director of Digital Switchover Help Scheme, Mr Wilf White; and

Area Manager of Digital Switchover Help Scheme, Mr Nigel Tilson.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 3.30pm.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 3.34pm.

Mr Robin Swann returned to the meeting at 3.35pm.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed : The officials agreed to: clarify the eligibility criteria of the scheme, specifically in relation to sheltered accommodation and care homes; and to provide promotional material when published.

The officials left the meeting at 3.47pm.

6. DCAL Written Briefing Paper on Forecast Outturn for November to March

The Committee noted the Department’s written briefing on forecast outturn for November 2011 to March 2012.

7. Correspondence

Agreed : The Committee agreed to: forward the correspondence on concessionary TV licensing to the Minister for comment; to the TV Licensing Company for clarification on the legislation; and to Oaklee Housing Association.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department for the latest position on outstanding post project evaluations.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to provide details of the membership of the project team and terms of reference for the review into Arm’s Length Bodies to members.

8. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted that the Chair will speak to the Community Libraries debate on 21 November 2011.

The Committee noted that the Chair will be attending the Northern Ireland Women’s Football match against Norway on 19 November 2011.

The Committee agreed the draft foreword for the Ulster Hall programme for the Annual Marching Bands Festival.

9. Forward Work Programme

The Committee agreed the changes to the Forward Work Programme.

The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the Ulster Angling Federation onto the Forward Work Programme.

The following members indicated that they will attend the Committee meeting in Londonderry on 24 November: Ms Michelle McIlveen (Chair); Mrs Brenda Hale; Ms Karen McKevitt; Mr Oliver McMullan; Mr Cathal Ó hOisín; Mr Pat Sheehan; and Mr Robin Swann.

10. Any other business

The Committee agreed to send electronic Christmas Cards to its stakeholders.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 24 November 2011 at 10.30am in the Whittaker Room, Guildhall, Londonderry.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 3.56pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
24 November 2011

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us