Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 17 January 2013

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.34am. 

1. Apologies

There were no apologies.

2. Draft Minutes of the Meeting held on 10 January 2013

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 10 January 2013.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the correspondence tracker outlining all of the outstanding correspondence since September 2012.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Education agreeing to co-sponsor an event showcasing the BLISS project.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward Mencap’s: UK City of Culture 2013 Report onto the Arts Council; and briefing on transport issues for people with learning difficulties onto the Arts Council and the Committee for Regional Development.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.37am.

4. Briefing from Belfast City Council regarding its Draft Amateur Boxing Strategy 2012 -2022

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.37am:

Director of Parks and Leisure, Mr Andrew Hassard;

Assistant Director of Parks and Leisure, Ms Rose Crozier; and

Policy & Business Development Officer, Ms Claire Sullivan.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 10.45am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Oliver McMullan joined the meeting at 11.11am.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 11.36am.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee the number of applications for new clubs in the last three years; and to share any outworkings of the consultation with the Committee.                                        

The officials left the meeting at 11.37am.

5. Briefing from Irish Amateur Boxing Association

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.40am:

Chief Executive, Mr Don Stewart;

Chairman, Dr John Lynch; and

Vice president, Mr Sean Canavan.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Dominic Bradley rejoined the meeting at 12.01pm.

Mrs Karen McKevitt left the meeting at 12.18pm.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee: a paper providing details of issues around Sandy Row Amateur Boxing Club’s affiliation; a breakdown and analysis of funding; the terms of reference for the working group set up to consider issues raised by Sandy Row and its progress; and issues around eligibility for Team GB. Officials also agreed to follow up outstanding correspondence with the Ulster Provincial Boxing Council.  

The officials left the meeting at 1.02pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer the following Agenda items until next week’s meeting: Briefing from RAISE on the Community Festivals Fund Evaluation; and Consideration of the Committee Inquiry Report into Maximising the Potential of the Creative Industries.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to start the meeting of 24 January 2013 at 10am. 

6. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department regarding the Salmon Conservation Policy.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding the application process for Appointment to the Board of NI Screen.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Chair should informally meet Booktrust to discuss a National Centre for Children’s Literature.

7. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted the invite from Oh Yeah Music Centre.

The Committee noted the Chair’s forthcoming meeting with IFA to discuss the Northern Ireland School’s Football Association.

The Committee noted that the Chairperson has agreed to host the launch for an exhibition of Chinese paintings in the Long Gallery at noon on Wednesday 30th January to mark Chinese New Year.

8. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee: noted the briefing from RAISE on Potential Witnesses for its Investigation into Consistency in Child Protection across the Culture, Arts and Leisure remit; and agreed that Clerk should review the list and invite organisations to give either oral or written evidence.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 1.03pm.

Mrs Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 1.03pm.

9. Any other business

There was no other business.

10. Date and Time of Next Meeting          

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 24th January 2013, Parliament Buildings.

The Committee adjourned at 1.07pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
24 January 2013

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us