Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 13 December 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.35am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of the meeting held on 06 December 2012

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 06 December 2012.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the Minister’s response to the Committee’s request for her assurance regarding the successfully delivery of the UK City of Culture project.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request details of the Arts Council’s review of its small grants scheme.

The Committee noted tabled correspondence from Newry and Mourne District Council providing information regarding its work promoting opportunities in advance of the World Police and Fire Games.

The Committee noted tabled correspondence from the Minister regarding the review of the Delivering Tomorrow’s Libraries strategy.

4. Briefing from the Permanent Secretary on the Delivery of the World Police and Fire Games 2013

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.40am:

Permanent Secretary, Rosalie Flanagan;

Director of Museums, Libraries & Recreation, Mick Cory; and

John Tully, Chief Executive of World Police and Fire Games Ltd.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.42am.

Mr Oliver McMullan joined the meeting at 10.52am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 11.32am.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide a written report providing: an analysis of accommodation that is available; an analysis of the accommodation need; information on the accommodation strategy and on actions being taken in relation to the strategy; and details of the registration process and cost of registration for accommodation owners.

The officials left the meeting at 11.42am.

5. Mencap NI briefing regarding role and remit

The Committee noted correspondence from Replay Theatre Company regarding BLISS: a performance created for people with profound and multiple learning difficulties.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to host an event to showcase BLISS; and to seek support from both the Committee for Health and the Committee for Education.  

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.44am:

Campaigns Officer, Jenny Ruddy;

NI Committee Representative, Jackie Pollock; and

NI Committee Representative, Barbara Noris.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide a research paper on barriers to participation among people with learning difficulties during the UK City of Culture year.

Mr Cathal Ó hÓisín made a declaration that he is a former project development officer of a local learning and disability charity; and is currently Director of a regional deaf community charity.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 12.18pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.24pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.29pm.

The Committee was suspended at 12.30pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan returned to the meeting at 12.40pm.

The Committee resumed in open session at 12.40pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to raise the challenges regarding community transport and door to door transport with the Committee for Regional Development; and to forward the correspondence from Replay Theatre Company on to Mencap.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley returned to the meeting at 12.41pm.

6. Research and Information Services Paper on Co-operative Society: Legislation and Good Practice

The Committee noted the Assembly Research paper on Co-operative Societies: Legislation and Good Practice.

7. Correspondence

The Committee noted the Minister’s statement on Salmon Conservation.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence from Mervyn Storey MLA regarding the Japanese Culture Centre on to the OFMDFM Committee.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence from the Department of the Environment on archaeological artefacts, sites and finds on to DCAL.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Arts Council NI regarding its EQIA consultation on the Music Strategy.

The Committee noted the North / South Language Body Annual Report and Accounts for the year ended 31 December 2009. 

8. Chairperson’s Business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to conduct a focused investigation into child protection measures across the culture, arts and leisure remit, including social media.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Committee Office should conduct a scoping exercise on the investigation over Christmas recess.

Agreed: The Committee agreed a draft press release outlining its intention to conduct a focused investigation into consistency across child protection measures within the culture, arts and leisure remit.

9. Forward Work Programme 

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

10. Any other business

There was no other business.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting           

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 10th January 2012, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.50pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
10 January 2013

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us